[Energy] ESIP Energy & Climate Working Group telecon - Thursday 3/24 at 4pm ET

Eckman, Richard S. (LARC-E303) richard.s.eckman at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 10 17:07:54 EST 2016

To all Participants and Friends of the ESIP Energy & Climate Working Group -

Building on our successful collaboration with the Agriculture and Climate Cluster, we are relaunching the monthly ESIP Energy & Climate Working Group teleconferences, and would like to get your feedback on a few exciting potential focus areas for 2016, starting March 24th at 4-5 pm ET.  Details are below - please pass this to any potentially interested colleagues - we hope you can join us! Telecon access info may be found on our Energy and Climate WG Wiki Page<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Energy_and_Climate>.

Regards,

Richard & Erica

--
Dr. Richard Eckman
Program Manager, Atmospheric Composition Modeling and Analysis Program

202-358-2567 (HQ Office)
202-358-2770 (HQ Fax)
757-272-5565 (Cell)
Richard.S.Eckman at nasa.gov<mailto:Richard.S.Eckman at nasa.gov>

Erica R. Zell
Senior Research Scientist
Health and Analytics
Battelle
zelle at battelle.org<mailto:zelle at battelle.org>
512-659-2523

Details:

With the new co-chair, Erica Zell from Battelle, we recently took part in an exercise with ESIP leadership to develop our Energy & Climate WG collaboration plan. See http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/2016EnergyClimatePlan for more details. We intend to continue our excellent collaboration with the Agriculture & Climate cluster, and also proceed with other activities:

1.      One of these is to revisit our interactions with the Group on Earth Observations (GEO) and its Energy & Mineral Resources societal benefit area. The work that we've coordinated through our WG is contributing to the GEO "GI-10" work plan task on renewable energy (see http://earthobservations.org/activity.php?id=43 for more details). In 2016, we would like to continue to use ESIP, as a GEO participating organization, and our WG as a venue for advancing this contribution to GEO. We had a session at the Copper Mountain ESIP2014 Summer Meeting examining energy-relevant activities at federal agencies and academia that contribute to GEO.

2.      We'd also like to explore collaborations with other areas of ESIP, particularly the Education, Disaster, and Science Communication clusters. We think that there's a lot of expertise in ESIP that we haven't turned onto our activities in Energy/Climate and we'd like to explore areas where energy-relevant Earth observations could play roles, e.g., in response to severe weather-induced power outages, or where energy-related information can be better communicated to the public or educators.

Our Energy & Climate WG monthly telecons have, traditionally, been held on the 4th Thursday of the month at 4PM ET. Erica and I are interested in whether this time still works for people. Either way, please let us know of your interest in participating and, potentially, what times may work better if you have a hard conflict with our standing time. We'll try to accommodate as many as possible, based on those who respond. Additionally, please feel free to suggest other areas/concepts that you think would be interesting for our Working Group to explore.

Tentative agenda for our March 24 telecon:

1.      Welcome from co-chairs and round-the-phone identification (10 min)
2.      Discussion of our new Collaboration plan (see web link, above) (20 min)
*       GEO activities and how the WG can contribute
*       Inputs on other areas to explore or areas to delete from the new plan
3.      Recap and next steps for recent activities (ESIP winter meeting Agriculture/Climate - Energy/Climate session on the Climate Resilience Toolkit - https://toolkit.climate.gov/) (10 min)
4.      Other agency/academia/private sector energy activities of relevance to the WG (10 min)
5.      Next steps: (10 min)
*       Summer meeting breakout session(s) concepts
*       Monthly Energy and Climate WG telecon scheduling and topics

Note that our former co-chair, Ana Privette, stepped down as late last year to pursue other activities, but plans to remain active in WG activities. We thank her for her dedication and support!

Lastly, we know that this mailing list is quite large and encompasses participants of previous incarnations of this Working Group. If you no longer wish to be involved, please let us know and we'll remove you from the list. But, we hope for your involvement as we move forward.