[Energy] Invite for May 12, 2016 ESIP Energy and Climate Workgroup Call

Eckman, Richard S. (LARC-E303) richard.s.eckman at nasa.gov
Sat May 7 09:56:10 EDT 2016

Invite for May 12, 2016 Energy and Climate Workgroup Call
To all Participants and Friends of the ESIP Energy & Climate Working Group -
(We are planning to send monthly teleconference reminders and summary call notes, but please let us know if you would like to be removed from this list, or forward names of replacement/new appropriate contacts for this).
In this month's ESIP Energy & Climate Working Group teleconference, on Thursday, May 12, from 4-5 pm ET, we will report back from a recent NASA-funded workshop with energy sector "end users" and "value-added providers" on Earth observation and model output needs. We will also plan for our session at the summer meeting, in Durham, NC, July 19-22 (note new venue).  We are scheduled for 2-3:30 p.m. on Wednesday July 20. The telecon agenda is below - we hope you can join us.
Call: 1- (312) 757-3121
Access Code: 264-439-429
Regards, ESIP Energy & Climate Working Group Co-Chairs
Dr. Richard Eckman, Science Mission Directorate, NASA HQ, Richard.S.Eckman at nasa.gov<mailto:Richard.S.Eckman at nasa.gov>
Ms. Erica Zell, Battelle, zelle at battelle.org<mailto:zelle at battelle.org>

Agenda:
1.      Welcome from co-chairs and round-the-phone identification (10 min)
2.      Report from NASA Energy Management Stakeholder Ideation Workshop - April 27, 2015, Washington DC (Slides available at http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Energy_and_Climate) (20 min)
a.      Potential for follow-up activities via ESIP
3.      Summer ESIP Meeting Planning - Energy Session: The Users' Perspective: How are Energy Utilities and Developers Using Earth Observation Data to Address Climate Resilience and Support Renewable Energy? (10 min)
a.      Identify Speakers
4.      Discussion of Potential Actions for Workgroup for this Year (reference 2016 Energy and Climate Plan at http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/2016EnergyClimatePlan) and Key Points from Previous Call below (15 min)
5.      Next steps: (5 min)
a.      Monthly Energy and Climate WG telecon scheduling and topics
b.      Coordinating with other Energy/Data/Science Focused Telecons and Committees

Summer ESIP Meeting Session Proposal:
Session Title:
The Users' Perspective: How are Energy Utilities and Developers Using Earth Observation Data to Address Climate Resilience and Support Renewable Energy?
Session advertisement:
Energy utilities and power project developers are increasingly recognizing the climate-sensitivity of their day-to-day operations and planning on the 20-30 year timescale. Solar and wind power project developers require resource data and forecasts for project design, operations, and financing. Increasingly sophisticated software and models from value-added providers and in-house meteorology groups at some utilities rely on Earth observations from NASA, NOAA, and other sources to support their decisions.  Hear from energy sector end users on their current and emerging decision-support needs focused on a climate resilient infrastructure and renewable energy development. A summary of a recent NASA-sponsored workshop on this topic will provide context for the panel discussion.
Speakers:
3-4 energy sector end users and/or NASA Energy Management Workshop attendees with summary results from the workshop
Depending on the audience, discuss either ways that current NASA and NOAA resources can be connected to better meet energy sector needs, and/or discuss potential ways to structure a NASA Applied Sciences Energy Management Program to meet the highlighted needs.

Previous Meeting (March 2016) Key Points and Action Items:
1.      Discussed whether to focus primarily on energy or climate, and decided to maintain focus primarily on energy since this is a unique, focused angle, gaining increasing attention especially for resilience of energy infrastructure and expanding renewables, at least for rest of year to see if we can kick-start interest
2.      Discussed interest in connecting with SMAP Applications Working Group (noted by Erika) on topics such as hydropower assessments using SMAP data, and invite them to share their work on a future call. Erika Podest noted that perhaps we should invite Vanessa Escobar (GSFC) to the energy workshop since she's heavily involved in the SMAP Applications Working Group.
3.      Discussed coordinating with the ESIP Communication and Outreach group to create a communication piece/diagram/pictograph using Earth observation data for energy sector
4.      Discussed possible engaging energy futures traders as an unconventional end user, specifically related to their use of seasonal forecasts (potential follow-up with Brian Wee)
5.      Discussed coordinating with the Education Cluster to potentially add a renewable energy aspect in one of their meeting sessions (no follow up needed currently)
6.      Discussed using ESIP as a coordinating body to connection with international activities at GEO
7.      Discussed coordinating with and attending the AMS Energy Working Group
8.      Erin invited us to blog on the AGU Blog GeoSpace (no follow up needed currently)
9.      As part of review of Collaboration Plan (link below), need to reinvigorate group attendance, through the following:
*       Send 3-4 questions to Erin Robinson to include in survey of ESIP members and friends on interest in energy (scheduled for late April or early May)
*       Conduct session at summer meeting leveraging connection with energy sector end users from NASA-sponsored workshop scheduled for April 27 in DC