[ESIP-CF] Esip-cf Digest, Vol 4, Issue 3

Ted Habermann ted.habermann at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 11 12:19:40 EST 2012

Upendra,

I agree that the ACDD can be very useful, particularly compared to a bare-bones CF compliant file. At the same time, there are significant limitations to the current conventions as described on the wiki page I mentioned. I would very much like to hear comments from the group on those limitations or possible solutions...

Ted

On Jan 11, 2012, at 10:00 AM, esip-cf-request at lists.esipfed.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:23:04 -0500
> From: Upendra Dadi <upendra.dadi at noaa.gov>
> To: esip-cf at lists.esipfed.org
> Subject: Re: [ESIP-CF] Evolving CF
>
> Hi Ted,
>   Thanks for the links.  I did mention to the group the effort to make
> CF-netCDF an OGC standard.
>
> Here is the link to OGC webpage containing more information:
>  http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/netcdf
>
> Also, here at NODC, we have been using ACDD attributes for some time and
> find it very useful especially with tools like ncISO which can
> automatically create ISO metadata using CF and ACDD attributes.
>
> Upendra
>

> On 1/10/2012 11:43 AM, Ted Habermann wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Sorry to have missed the discussion last week at the winter meeting. I
>> wanted to bring up a couple of things:
>>
>> 1. Is this group aware of the work that Stefano Nativi is doing to
>> have CF become an extension to the Open Geospatial Consortium netCDF
>> standard? IMHO it makes sense to move the CF discussion into the OGC
>> realm since Ben and others did so much work to get netCDF there.
>>
>> 2. Some of you know that work is being done with the Unidata Attribute
>> Convention for Data Discovery (see
>> https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=NetCDF_Attribute_Convention_for_Dataset_Discovery)
>> and translations between netCDF and ISO. This work has surfaced a
>> number of problems with CF that must be addressed as part of the
>> evolution of the standard. I also plan to do this work in the context
>> of an OGC extension to netCDF that migrates the netCDF metadata model
>> towards HDF5 and harmonizes the model with ISO. An initial discussion
>> of these ideas is at
>> https://geo-ide.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=NetCDF_and_ISO_Metadata.
>>
>> Your thoughts, suggestions, and contributions will be appreciated,
>> Ted

> End of Esip-cf Digest, Vol 4, Issue 3

   Enterprise Data Systems Group Leader
   NOAA, National Geophysical Data Center