[ESIP-CF] Esip-cf Digest, Vol 5, Issue 1

Ted Habermann ted.habermann at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 1 12:26:02 EST 2012

Upendra et al.,

I agree that User-Defined Types are a potentially very interesting approach
to adding structure to metadata in granules. One of the challenges is that
UDTs have been developed as a tool for describing data structures instead
of attribute structures. In other words, we would need to write metadata
into variables instead of into attributes. I suspect that this would change
the mechanisms we use to write and extract this information considerably...

I have discussed the question of arrays of attributes with Mike Folk from
the HDF group (cc'ed) recently, and plan to follow up on that approach...
If we could extend the idea of UDT's into the attribute space it would be
very cool!

Ted

--
     Enterprise Data Systems Group Leader