[ESIP-CF] CF names for satellite data

Ted Habermann ted.habermann at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 25 12:00:47 EDT 2012

Hello all,

There were no strenuous objections to Ed and I trying to move the work of
the CF-Cluster forward under a broader banner of the Documentation Cluster
(may be a working group, I'm not sure)... So, I did a couple of things:

1. I created a Climate Forecast Conventions Category on the wiki (
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Category:Climate_Forecast_Conventions )
and added a bunch of pages to it. These pages were identified by searching
for CF on the wiki. It is a start, but certainly incorrect in several ways.
If there are pages on the wiki that you are aware of that are related to
CF, please add the string [[category:Climate Forecast Conventions]] to
those pages. That is how they get into the category.

2. I created a Documentation Cluster Category that includes only the
Climate Forecast Conventions category now. This category page is where we
will put information about the cluster. That approach means that mediaWiki
will automatically provide links to all related pages from the cluster home
page...

3. My colleague Aleksandar Jelenak has been working on data management with
the Global Space-based Inter-Calibration System (GSICS) Project which is
aimed at inter-calibrations between multiple satellite sensors. This
project has developed a set of netCDF conventions and is moving towards
extensions to the CF-Conventions for these products. Aleksandar pointed me
towards a set of proposed names that he put together awhile ago (
https://gsics.nesdis.noaa.gov/wiki/Development/StandardVariableNames). I
added a page called
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Standard_Names_For_Satellite_Observations to
the wiki that includes a column for comments on these proposed names. At
this point they have not been submitted to CF, but I thought they might be
a good starting point for some discussions.

Ted

--
     Enterprise Data Systems Group Leader