[ESIP-CF] CF names for satellite data

Aleksandar Jelenak aleksandar.jelenak at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 28 16:47:04 EDT 2012

Hello all!

At the last cluster web meeting there was a discussion on what terms
are best to use: "instrument" or "sensor", and "channel" or "band". I
was tasked to prepare some background information that could help in
deciding. After thinking about this a bit more I decided to save us
all some time (actually, a lot) by skipping that whole deliberation
process!

I decided to deprecate the usage of "instrument" and "channel" in
favor of "sensor" and "band" and the the proposed names already
reflect this:

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Standard_Names_For_Satellite_Observations

I have also expanded a bit the definition of
central_(wavelenth|wavenumber) and introduced two new names:
sensor_scan_angle and platform_zenith_angle.

Here's the diff view of all the changes:

http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php?title=Standard_Names_For_Satellite_Observations&diff=40702&oldid=40473

Let me know what you think. We can certainly revert back if you prefer
to engage in long discussions with an uncertain final outcome.

       -Aleksandar