[Esip-discovery] ESIP Winter Meeting Notes for Discovery

Eric Rozell rozele at rpi.edu
Mon Jan 9 11:39:19 EST 2012

Hey everyone,

I've posted the notes for the Discovery Cluster sessions.  They are at the bottom of the wiki page for each of the session descriptions.  For reference:

Discovery Workshop - http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/ESIP_2012-01_Discovery_Workshop
Discovery Planning - http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/ESIP_2012-01_Discovery_Planning

The original notes are available at: http://twc.titanpad.com/221

I think there are going to be a number of DCP's in the works.  Here is a brief summary of those (with potential coordinator), see the notes if you are more interested:

DCP-4 (use of XLink in Atom <link> tags)
Coordinator - Brian Wilson
Description - superseding DCP-2 and DCP-3 to use XML XLink to extend ESIP Discovery conventions to support detailed description of Atom <link> tags in OpenSearch and *casting.

DCP-5 (use of OpenSearch <Query> tags for valid parameter values)
Coordinator - NSIDC
Description - there are a few organizations with the need for valid parameter values, NSIDC seems to be the farthest along on the simplest specification for enabling this.

DCP-6 (replace the use of time:start and time:end with dc:date)
Coordinator - ??
Description - the Discovery cluster decided to repurpose the OpenSearch Time extension to describe time range in OpenSearch responses.  The upcoming OGC spec uses dc:date to describe time coverage ranges instead.  We should consider this replacement.

DCP-7 (definition of best practices for error handling)?
Coordinator - ??
Description - each OpenSearch service potentially has a different response for the case of "no results" or "invalid parameter input", so we should define some best practices or standardize this.

Thanks,
--Eric