[Esip-documentation] ACDD 1.3 issue: role attributes (creator, publisher, contributor, project, institution)

John Graybeal via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Tue Oct 7 14:25:27 EDT 2014

Re the role attributes, I propose the following for your consent (and remember, silence is consent) -- or for your argument before the meeting:

- creator_institution (institution of the user that originated this data) should be renamed creator_has_institution, to avoid confusing it with the institution that originated the data
- existing text as written (including text about white space) in various attributes is acceptable as written (see lines 20-39 of Version Changes)

I've added a new subsection in the Attribute Content Guidance section called Free Text Formatting: "In some attributes, it may be desirable to use structured text to support computer parsing of human-readable content. Because netCDF files are often translated between binary and text encodings (e.g., by the netCDF command line tools nco), such structures should tolerate changes in white space (including end-of-line characters) that may be caused by software reformatting during translation."

And since I already know some people think the *_info attributes are not valuable enough to add, I propose we just decide via a quick vote at the meeting (70% required for inclusion). Not worth spending lots of time arguing over that one, IMHO.

John

John Graybeal
jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
650-450-1853