[Esip-documentation] updated ACDD information: issue status

John Graybeal via Esip-documentation esip-documentation at lists.esipfed.org
Tue Oct 7 16:01:13 EDT 2014

Here is the status of our efforts on ACDD this week.

By way of reminder: we are trying to resolve as many issues via this email list as possible before Thursday; we don't want new issues springing up during the call. So I'm going to assume that if you do not respond on this list, you are OK with any stable proposals as documented (that is, the proposals for issues 2 and 4, and maybe 3 will come along soon).  Use the email thread for an issue to express disagreement with the proposal.

I've updated the Active Issues table to reflect the discussions on individual topics, if you need to review a particular thread.

Accordingly, the progress is:

1) date & time stamps - with sub-thread ACDD date attributes question

Lots of good dialog on these topics. No consensus emerging yet that I've seen, perhaps with a bit more engagement we can see the opportunities more clearly?   (The Active Issues table for this topic is heavily edited, more about that in a coming email on this topic.)

2) role attributes

Recommendations have been proposed for your consent (or discussion).

3) geospatial bounds, geospatial_vertical_units

Options have been proposed, and further engagement may produce a proposal for your consent (or discussion).

4) remainders, collecting smaller issues for pre-meeting resolution

Taking as a 'proposal' the recent recommendation that cdm_data_type should persist as is, all questions have a 'default answer', for your consent (or discussion).

Keep those cards and letters coming, folks. We're pretty close.

John

> * Minutes from the Adjudication Meeting are posted on ESIP site (thanks Anna!)
> * Version Changes table is thoroughly reorganized and updated
> * Active Issues table is updated
> * ACDD Working 1.3.1 page updated
>   * with latest changes to match Version Changes table
>   * order of attributes is somewhat reorganized
>   * Attribute Content Guidance section is added to the front matter
>
> Shortly you will get emails for each of the big issues we have left. I encourage any discussion via those email threads that can help us resolve our understanding and opinions before the meeting. Given the number of issues, it seems safe to say that the briefer the comments, the more likely they will be read.
>
> It WILL be assumed that if no one comments on a particular issue, the general approach outlined is acceptable.
>
> FYI, the issue topics are:
> - date & time stamps (the only really hard one)
>   - with sub-thread ACDD date attributes question
> - role attributes
> - geospatial bounds, geospatial_vertical_units
> - remainders, collecting smaller issues for pre-meeting resolution

Thanks for your attention.  See you on-line and next Thursday.

John

John Graybeal
jbgraybeal at mindspring.com
650-450-1853