[Esip-documentation] cdm_data_type defintion

Armstrong, Edward M (398G) Edward.M.Armstrong at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 19 12:51:03 EST 2015

Hi folks

I’ve come across a request for the proper usage of the ACDD attribute cdm_data_type.  This has been retained in  ver 1.3.   But what are the examples of its implementation ? According to:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/catalog/InvCatalogSpec.html#dataType

attribute examples could “Grid” ,“Swath”, “Point" etc.  But some popular implementation embedded in existing examples use a lowercase syntax such as “swath”

Which is the proper implementation, upper vs lowercase ?  Or perhaps this is still nebulous.  I did find this note from Bob Simmons in our recent ACCD v1.3 discussion on a google doc spreadsheet (but I don’t remember the consensus  on it):

cdm_data_type should not be tied to
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/tds/catalog/InvCatalogSpec.html#dataType
which is out-of-date and obsolete

Any insight appreciated.