[Esip-documentation] Tools for measuring metadata quality

Ted Habermann tedhabermann at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 19:06:16 EST 2019

All,

During our cluster meeting last week someone asked about tools for measuring metadata quality. It was not who I thought (bad voice recognition), so I decided to send this out to the whole cluster to catch the interested party and maybe identify others…

One of the important accomplishments of the MetaDIG Project was the development of a metadata quality engine that is currently being used at the NSF Arctic Data Center (see Quality Report on any of their search result pages, e.g. https://arcticdata.io/catalog/view/doi:10.18739/A2BZ61825 <https://arcticdata.io/catalog/view/doi:10.18739/A2BZ61825>) and will soon be used across all of DataOne. Peter Slaughter at NCEAS is currently the guru in charge of this tool which was designed to be installable in other locations. He is the guy to ask about details (cc’ed here)…

This is the tool that we will use to apply the FAIR metadata recommendations we are working on developing in the ESIP Documentation Cluster to DataOne metadata.

Thanks for your interest and attention and many thanks to Peter for his work making this happen!
Ted