[Esip-drupal] Follow up discussion on DOIs for Drupal docs - input needed!

David Bassendine david at bluedotlab.org
Mon Apr 27 17:44:18 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Last week's session on DOIs for Drupal documents, lead by Janine Aquino,
brought forward the discussion in a number of interesting ways -
identifying key functionality we'd need but also a number of sticking
points, particularly around how DOIs are used for web documents in contrast
to a more traditional, static publishing model.

You can access the call notes in the Google Doc at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rwPaKUaSoXT_nDq8aID-rVkPNUHNsOuDrdPq...
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rwPaKUaSoXT_nDq8aID-rVkPNUHNsOuDrdPqIk7kHO4/edit#>

I've summarized the key discussion points below, along with my impression
of the state of the discussion. If you have thoughts, corrections, or can
fill in any gaps, please comment on the discussion thread at
https://groups.drupal.org/node/466438#comment-1101723 - or on this list if
you don't have a drupal.org account (though I'd recommend signing up for
one).

We'll also be posting out a survey covering some of these points. Look out
for that in the next few days.

   - Are DOIs or URLs better identifiers for scientific web documents?
      - Current thoughts: DOIs, as they're persistent, whereas URLs can
      change
   - Is the Drupal page to be used as the "document of record" for the DOI,
   or is that stored on some other system?
      - Current thoughts: intent of the project is for Drupal to serve as
      the master copy of the content for DOI purposes
   - Which web content should have a DOI?
      - Current thoughts: no official guidelines, it's up to institutions
      or individuals to decide, either on a per-content type or per-page basis
   - When there's a new revision of a web page, should we generate a new
   DOI or a new DOI revision? Are there any official guidelines for DOI
   revisions?
      - Current thoughts: undecided - some institutions use revisions,
      others issue new DOIs; need more information on best practices, or which
      approach is most widely used
   - When a page is revised, should the new DOI or DOI revision point to
   the URL of a revision in Drupal (ie. stored in the database), or to an
   independent snapshot of that page (eg. as a PDF)?
      - Current thoughts: undecided - a pdf snapshot is "immutable" but
      less accessible and carries more overhead (ie. to create and manage the
      pdfs); a revision is more accessible and built into drupal core, but
      carries a higher risk of changing (depending on drupal setup) and it's
      unclear how easily revisions can be published
   - Which DOI service is most widely used and provides sufficient access
   via API (ie. to create and update DOIs)?
      - Current thoughts: unknown - NCAR uses EZID, which does have an API (
      http://ezid.cdlib.org/doc/apidoc.html), but it's not clear how widely
      used this service is amongst other institutions

Thanks! David