[Esip-drupal] Dries on Decoupling Drupal

Inigo San Gil isangil at lternet.edu
Thu Oct 1 09:53:13 EDT 2015

I echo that.  Just by listening to the latests talks, specially the
Driesnote <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v_rv346qmM> at Barcelona
(starts at min 20), you can see how much things are evolving in the
Drupal community. One of the qualities of Dries that I admire most is
his coolness in owning mistakes, look in the face to threats, and be
honest about all.

Drupal is moving and adapting to what could be the real future of
Drupal, which is likely to be a mix of implementations, head-full and
headless.  Perhaps in some cases Drupal may be the hub envisioned by
Dries years ago, where it sits at the center of the internet of things.
However, it is also quite likely that Drupal will be a component of a
more elaborate system, with spiffy decoupled front end JS frameworks
(React, Angular, Node, Backbone, etc) and serving content in any of the
typical format (from themed HTML to HAL-JSON).  This is really exciting,
not just because we see a great future, but because it tells us that
Drupal adapts as we go forward and new cool ways to manage and serve
info (and data) come along.  It makes me want to jump now to D8 (but
wont yet).

Happy Drupaling!
Inigo

--