[Esip-envirosensing] water temperature meter for lakes

Skawinski, Paul Paul.Skawinski at uwsp.edu
Mon Sep 24 16:20:19 EDT 2018

For many years, we have used a basic temperature meter made by Doric Instruments (VAS Engineering) to allow our Citizen Lake Monitoring Network volunteers to record temperature profiles in lakes from the surface to 30'+ (some down to 100'). The meter display box + a 50' cable cost about $130. The company has let us know that they are ceasing production and repair of these units, so we need to find an alternative. We built a prototype to see if we could save money by creating our own from raw components. For about $65 in parts (plus assembly labor), we created a prototype using a probe + 50' cable from HOBO. Cost savings would be substantially more if we ordered these parts in bulk. We are still in the process of refining this prototype (it certainly would NOT have a box that requires you to unscrew it to replace the battery), but I'm wondering if others have suggestions for lake temperature meters that have worked well for you. Thanks in advance!

Paul Skawinski
Coordinator - Wisconsin Citizen Lake Monitoring Network
UW-Extension Lakes Program
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
800 Reserve St. - TNR231
Stevens Point, WI 54481