[Esip-envirosensing] Reminder Cluster Call Today - Andrew Rettig on "The New IoT Entry Level"

Renee F. Brown rfbrown at unm.edu
Tue Jun 2 14:28:39 EDT 2020

Hi all, a friendly reminder to consider joining us later this afternoon for Dr. Andrew Rettig’s presentation about his entrepreneurial work focused on the Internet of Things (IoT). See below for more details and connection info. We hope to see you there!

Renée & Scotty

Begin forwarded message:

Dear EnviroSensors,

We will host our next regularly scheduled monthly Cluster teleconference on Tuesday, June 2nd at 2p PT / 5p ET.

This month we are pleased to welcome back Dr. Andrew Rettig, a long-time member of our Cluster who presented a "Tech Teaser” during last month’s call. Andrew is a designer and implementer of the Internet of Things (IoT), both in higher education and for his IoT company. Andrew is a cross discipline IoT professor at the University of Dayton and has created one of the only applied Internet of Things classes in the nation where student proposals have raised over $20,000. His company, Lil Data Monster, is an IoT edge engineering and intelligence company. His personal ethos emphasizes the use of open innovation, encouraging collaboration and open source software within distributed sensing.

Andrew’s presentation, "The New IoT Entry Level,” will focus on his work as a leader in IoT. He co-founded his first IoT company in 2012 while working on his Ph.D. dissertation, hiring 10 engineers while creating real time monitoring for a stormwater runoff EPA green technology site. Now, 8 years later he has started another IoT company with a total of only three employees. He states, "We are working faster and better than I ever imagined. What has happened to change the IoT entry level? How are we shorting and simplifying our development while creating better solutions? I will strive to answer this question maybe even with a demo thrown in. I will include a slide or two on both my applied class approach and pedagogy. Lastly, I will chat quickly about my new company, because its so fun!”

Finally, a reminder we are still seeking presenters for our upcoming virtual session<https://2020esipsummermeeting.sched.com/event/cIuE/recent-advances-in-environmental-sensing-for-monitoring-and-research> at the 2020 ESIP Summer Meeting. Registration Support for Session Speakers: To support the development of high quality and engaging sessions and to encourage new participants to join, session organizers can request complimentary registrations for each session to invite 1-2 speakers that have never been to an ESIP Meeting. Please reach out to Scotty and me by June 20th if you would like to either self-nominate or nominate someone else for this opportunity.

Meeting Agenda:
- Welcome & Introductions - 10 min
- Cluster Business - ESIP Summer Meeting - 5 min
- Guest Presentation by Dr. Andrew Rettig: The New IoT Entry Level

Connection Info:
To join, go to http<https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/895837693>s://global.gotomeeting.com/join/895837693<https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/895837693>
You can also dial in using your phone: 646-749-3122; access code 895-837-693

We look forward to seeing many of you next week!

Renée & Scotty