[Esip-esda] SIP ESDA (Analytics) telecon Thursday, June 26, 3 EST

Brand Niemann via Esip-esda esip-esda at lists.esipfed.org
Mon Jun 23 03:53:21 EDT 2014

GMU Statistics Seminar Announcement: Feb 22, 2013, 11am-12pm
Why we need huge datasets of space-based Earth observations, examples of
what we do with them for studying airborne dust, smoke, and pollution, and
how an involved statistician might help out

Ralph Kahn
<http://semanticommunity.info/@api/deki/files/28785/Kahn_GMU_22Feb_2013.ppt>
Slides
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Johnson Center G19 - Gold Room
4400 University Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030
Time: 11:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.
Date: Friday, Feb 22, 2013

Abstract
>From a human perspective, Earth is a huge planet, and environmental
conditions are enormously diverse. Yet we care very much about even
small-scale and short-lived phenomena, as they affect climate and determine
habitability.  As such, satellite-borne instruments that can make frequent,
global observations are central to our study of current conditions, and are
indispensable for efforts to predict future change.  As a window into the
nature of massive Earth science data sets, I will use space-based
measurements of aerosols: desert dust, volcanic ash, wildfire smoke, and
pollution particle l context for these measurements, general data set
attributes, key questions these data are intended to address, and the need
for coupling such observations with climate and air quality numerical
models, will be covered.  The final aspect of the seminar, how statisticians
might help out, will be explored during discussion at the end of the
presentation.

Practical Uses of Math and Science: The On-Line Journal of Math and Science
Examples for Pre-College Education, Ralph Kahn, Editor
See:  <http://pumas.nasa.gov/> http://pumas.nasa.gov/