[Esip-visioneers] Show us your figures!

Rebecca Fowler rebeccafowler at esipfed.org
Thu Mar 17 14:06:51 EDT 2016

Hello Visioneers,

Please read on before you send an inappropriate response to this list.

ESIP staff have discussed reinvigorating our meeting poster sessions and
have an alternative based on recent conversations about science, art and
communication.

At the Summer Meeting, instead of the usual poster session, we'll hold a
Research as Art (or The Art of ESIP or Show Us Your Figures, title TBD)
evening session, a gallery-style event where meeting attendees learn about
current ESIP research in a new, engaging and accessible way.

Prior to the meeting, we want ESIPers--even those who don't consider
themselves artists--to submit one visually appealing figure, image or movie
depicting their work, along with a non-technical caption. When appropriate,
submissions can include the code/data behind the figures and/or allow the
audience to interact with the submission at the event.

During the session, the community will vote on submissions and prize(s)
will go to the favorites. All will be shared on the ESIP website.

The goal is similar to that of a poster session, but we hope this will be a
little more fun, encourage people to share their work in a new way and
exhibit the diversity of work done by the ESIP community.

Read this
<http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/news-events/distilling-art-figures-science>
if you'd like to know more about this kind of event.

Let's discuss on our next call. Comments and questions welcome before then.

Cheers,
Rebecca

--
Rebecca Fowler