INC NEWS - An Adult Establishment mybe coming to your Community

Melvin Whitley tellmelvin at nc.rr.com
Fri Dec 2 12:59:44 EST 2005

Public Hearing  December 5, 2005 Monday MORNING at 9:00 A.M at City Hall
(86 I-3 Sites in Durham)

On Jan. 6th, 2006 the Development Review Board will consider a request of Paradise Nightclub. Mr. Larry Jones and G.H William are pushing this site plan.Two years ago we close down the last strip club in East Durham and reduces prostitution and street crime. No adult Establishment should be permitted in any high crime area or undevelop community.  We need to stop them across Durham County.

The proposal is for an adult nightclub building with the parking underneath.  The property is split zoned I-2 and I-3.  The building is located inside the I-3 portion where an adult establishment is a permitted use.  The driveway, however, crosses the I-2 portion and in I-2, an adult establishment requires a Minor Use Permit from the Board of Adjustment.

East Durham need Neighborhood leader from across the City to speak at a  public hearing  December 5, 2005 Monday MORNING at 9:00 A.M at City Hall. We want the City and County to admen the UDO to included a Special Uses Permit for Adult Establishments to question Public Safety. There are Eighty Six (86) I-3 Zone site in Durham where adult establishment can be located. Please e-mail me if you are able to speak for your Community.

Durham currently bars developers from opening a new adult establishment within 1,000 feet of residential zones, churches, day cares, schools, parks and libraries, or within 2,000 feet of another adult establishment. I want to expand the bar from develop a new adult establishment from 1,000 feet to 1,500 feet, the City Attorney tell me that it will require a study first. That will give them time to put in a new site plan before any decision is made.

Frank Duke, wants the City and County to pass the UDO without addressing this problem and admen it later. This change will not affect this adult establishment because the site plan will fall under the old UDO. We plan to stop them at the Board of Adjustment Hearing. We don't want to fight them again with a new site plan. The East End Corrector will create a new road Rowena Ave Extension that will run right in front of this property. The City Attorney office has said that we can't change the UDO, because information was not given at a public hearing about . We can ask them the City and County to open up a public hearing, and instruct planning and city attorney to work on an ordinance change.

Please help us stop Sin Property being place in a high crime neighborhood and underdeveloped community. December 5, 2005 Monday MORNING at 9:00 A.M at City Hall.  Again, there are Eighty Six (86) I-3 Zone site in the Durham where adult establishment can be located. Help must stop this before they come to our communities.

We are also planning a picket Larry Jones House at 3123 Adell Way on Dec.10th, 2005. Please feel free to call Jones at 919 572-1987 and ask him to withdraw his site plan. Thank you again for your help.

Your Servant
Rev. Melvin Whitley
2614 Harvard Ave
Durham NC  27703