INC NEWS - Hey--time out!

Chris Sevick csevick at verizon.net
Thu Jan 19 12:20:44 EST 2006

Thanks Kelly.  I'm just trying to push some buttons, and get people thinking.  I guess I pushed the right buttons.  :)

As far as Bill's email, let's just be honest here.  We all know the single most effective way to fight crime.  It's called gentrification.  As property values rise, poor people get pushed out, and the crime leaves with the poor people.  In the short run, you might make a neighborhood safer for law-abiding poor residents, but in the long run, they get evicted to the same neighborhood as the the criminals.  This process will reduce crime in a particular area, not overall crime.  It also raises serious moral questions, and they shouldn't be ignored.

Those active members of PAC2 seem to understand that gentrification works.  In fact, they are trying to expedite it.  In this panhandling debate, they have even bypassed the issue of crime, and directly gone after the poor people.  On top of that, they say that they are doing it for the safety of the panhandlers.  It should be no surprise that some in the community object to this on moral grounds.

As far as my "brilliant solution", I don't have one.  That's the whole point.  There is no quick fix to these problems.  As far as an incremental approach, I think those concerned about crime should be very concerned about the decreasing federal money that is contributed to our county's social services.  This seems like the key battleground against crime in Durham, but I guess it's not very glamorous.

Anyways, good luck with the War on Jaywalking.  I don't think it's a wise strategy for Durham, but I guess we'll see if the rest of Durham goes along with it.

Thanks,
Chris