INC NEWS - Stop The Bullet Coalition

Rev. Melvin Whitley tellmelvin at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 6 21:11:38 EST 2006

We want to announce an effort to stop illegal handgun ammunition sales to Durham youth and youth across our state. We believe that preventing youth access to ammunition is just as important as preventing youth access to guns. We also believe that the Bullet Ownership Bill (BOB) is the best way to promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of the public by providing a system of identifying persons who are not qualified to acquire or possess firearms and firearm ammunition within the state of North Carolina.

On February 9th, 2006 the Durham Voter Coalition will ask the Durham City Council to increase the requirement for citizen to buy ammunition in there Legislative agenda.

An 18-year-old youth can go into a gun store with ID and purchase ammunition. There is no requirement that the storeowners asked the youth the following question.

(1)    Are you a convicted felon?

(2)    Do you have a court case pending?

(3)    Are you required to take Mental Health Medication?

      (4) Have you ever been arrested for domestic violence?

Bullet Ownership Bill (BOB) We believe that a Bullet Owner’s Identification Card is a practical and workable system to identify persons prohibited by our Criminal Code from acquiring or possessing firearms and firearm ammunition.  (See attachment)

Your Servant
Rev. Melvin Whitley
2614 Harvard Ave
Durham NC  27703