INC NEWS - Drug Arrests and Landlords

Ken Gasch ken.gasch at hldproductions.com
Wed May 10 11:46:17 EDT 2006

Many of our city's larger property groups already perform background checks with Durham PD as a part of their tenant screening processes.  These checks are free and are available via fax.  The fax number at the PD records is 560-4987.  You will need the applicants' full name and DOB in order to see their arrest history within Durham.

Many large fee-based tenant screening services do not list drug arrests until a guilty verdict has been reached in a criminal trial.  Arrest records are available days after an arrest.

As I understand it, landlords are within their legal rights not to rent to folks who have been arrested with drugs as long as this policy extends to everyone applying for tenancy.

Once our PD gets our new Police To Citizen (P2C) up and running, citizens will be able to obtain these records on-line.  This system will cost less than $30K to install.  The financial benefits to our city will be well into the millions.  Look for this system to come on-line by the end of this year.

Ken Gasch