INC NEWS - [pac2] another landlord question

Nancy Grandjean nancyg at centralpets.com
Fri May 12 16:03:16 EDT 2006

Hi Barry, I totally sympathize with you. Barking dogs drive me crazy, and I've found through trial and error that talking to neighbors does no good (as you say, they can hear the dogs barking and obviously don't think there's anything wrong with that).
I spent a year trying to work with Animal Control about a next-door neighbor's constantly barking dog. My experience has been that Animal Control stops by, leaves a letter telling the owner about the noise/nuisance ordinance, and that's the end of it (until I call again). I was told that the dog owners would be fined after 3 complaints, but that sure never happened. So now I just call the police. Unfortunately that often doesn't work either; I'm not sure why people feel it's ok to break the law continually, but they do.
I agree with you -- the police shouldn't be spending their time doing barking-dog complaints, but until the city decides it's going to enforce the noise/nuisance ordinance, I don't see any other reasonable option.

Nancy Grandjean