INC NEWS - Email that Sue Wasiolek, Dean of Students, sent to all off-campus undergraduates

Susan Kauffman susan.kauffman at duke.edu
Wed Aug 16 18:27:23 EDT 2006

Just FYI,
Best wishes,
Susan Kauffman

Dear Undergraduates Living Off Campus:

Welcome back to Duke and Durham!  I suspect you are excited about the
academic year ahead.  We have been busily preparing for your arrival all
summer and eagerly await the return of a vibrant campus community.  I want
to take a moment to give you information to help you maximize your
off-campus experience while at the same time helping you avoid potentially
negative interactions in the community.

As you know, all undergraduates are bound by the Duke Community Standard--
the university’s honor code-- and the policies that stem from it.
University policies include those addressing the use of alcohol and other
drugs and also include local, state, and federal laws. (It is especially
important as an off-campus resident that you are familiar with local
ordinances, which are strictly enforced by the city.)

The Bulletin of Information and Regulations outlines university behavioral
expectations for undergraduates and is available online at
http://www.registrar.duke.edu/bulletins/inforeg or through the Office of
Judicial Affairs Web site at http://judicial.studentaffairs.duke.edu. You
should note that there are several changes in university policies and
procedures this year.  From the Office of Judicial Affairs Web site you can
access a document that highlights these changes.

While living off-campus please remain mindful of the needs of Duke's
neighbors and of your obligation to be familiar with and obey local, state,
and federal laws.  Durham Police operate under a zero-tolerance policy,
which means even a first offense may result in an arrest or a citation.
Also, please be aware that any student cited, arrested or reported for
behavioral concerns off campus may be subject to disciplinary action
through the Office of Judicial Affairs.

Off-campus students most often experience conflict with neighbors over
noise and trash generated by themselves or guests and from other social
activities that attract large numbers of students. Many of our neighbors
are people who have made a long-term commitment to their city and
neighborhood; the most significant of which is the investment they have
made in their homes.  Please be sensitive to their concerns and respectful
of their needs, and help to maintain a safe and peaceful environment.

I encourage you to develop good relationships with your neighbors and
become involved in neighborhood associations.  Some of your peers have
hosted barbecues this summer for their permanent neighbors that have been
very well received.  Good-neighbor events like these go a long way in
fostering tolerance and enhancing relationships!

If you have concerns about your living experience, the Duke Community
Housing Office provides a list of resources at
http://www.communityhousing.duke.edu/renters_guide.php. (You will find a
link to the city ordinances here.) I hope you have a very successful and
rewarding year.  If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me
or any of my colleagues in the Dean of Students Office or Division of
Student Affairs.

Sincerely,
Sue Wasiolek
Dean of Students & Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs

Susan Kauffman
Director of Special Projects
Office of Public Affairs & Govt. Relations
Box 90028
Duke University
(919) 681-8975