INC NEWS - Higher bail bonds (N&O letter to editor)

Caleb Southern southernc at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 25 09:30:58 EDT 2006

Higher bonds
Letter: News & Observer, 8-25-06

Accused murderers are walking the streets in Durham, according to the Aug.
19 article "Murder suspects out on bail." And they are allegedly committing
more crimes while free on bail. This revolving door at the Durham County
Jail is taxing police resources and endangering the safety of the public.
Even worse, it sends a strong message that a criminal lifestyle is
acceptable in Durham. There are no consequences.

Chief District Court Judge Elaine Bushfan is responsible for overseeing the
magistrates, who often set unreasonably low bonds for suspects awaiting
trial. Judge Bushfan, a bright and able public servant, has pointed out the
sorry lack of resources for our overburdened judicial system. I agree, and
call on the General Assembly to rectify this situation.

But we can also do more with what we have today. I call on Bushfan to direct
the magistrates to set high bail amounts, and keep murderers and other
dangerous criminals off the streets. Suspects are free to go before a judge
and request a bail reduction while awaiting trial.

Let's err on the side of caution and set high bail bonds, and make Durham a
safer place to live.

Caleb Southern
Durham

---

>From PAC2, PAC3 listservs:
Posted by: Kim Willis

Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:21 pm (PST)

Magistrates are supervised by Chief District Court Judge, so any complaints
or concerns should be addressed to Elaine Bushfan, with a cc to Senior
Resident Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson.

Contact them at:
Elaine.M.Bushfan at nccourts.org
Orlando.F.Hudson at nccourts.org