INC NEWS - CommUNITY Fest 2006

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Tue Oct 17 00:03:26 EDT 2006

The fourth annual Southwest Central Durham CommUNITY Festival at Lakewood
will take place on October 28 from 12 noon to 6 PM at the Lakewood
Shopping Center, 2000 Chapel Hill Road, in Durham. This year’s festival
coincides with National Make-A-Difference Day, a celebration of neighbors
helping neighbors, sponsored by the Durham Community Land Trustees.
CommUNITY Fest is a free event featuring live music and dance, as well as
local food, crafts, nonprofit booths, neighborhood history displays, and
family fun activities. Music this year includes Jon Shain, John Dee
Holeman, The BilliTones, Different Drum Trio, Generations Jazz Quintet,
and the TROSA Band.

The six neighborhoods comprising Southwest Central Durham include Burch
Avenue, West End, Lyon Park, Morehead Hills, Lakewood Park, and the
Tuscaloosa-Lakewood neighborhood. Many have been designated National
Historic Districts and they all represent classic examples of Durham’s
cultural, ethnic and socio-economic diversity. The goal of CommUNITY fest
is to celebrate the gifts, talents, and history of our community by
bringing people together in a fun, festive atmosphere, thereby building an
even stronger community. The success and growth of this festival shows
that we are well on our way. We thank you for your support.

Sponsored by:
Friends of CommUNITY Festival
Duke’s Office of Community Affairs
Durham Community Land Trustees
Durham Parks and Recreation Department
TROSA
El Centro Hispano
Southwest Central Durham Neighborhood Associations

For more information, contact Kristin Twigg (493-3981,
communityfest at yahoo.com)
Billy Stevens (489-8282, carrom1 at hotmail,com).