INC NEWS - Judge McKown (Herald-Sun letter)

Caleb Southern southernc at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 14 06:21:36 EST 2006

This is just great (see Judge McKown's letter below).

Everyone supports crime prevention, and the judge's programs may well be
excellent. But what about those people who "prevention" doesn't work for -
the ones we can't save?

I suppose Judge McKown will, like most of our judges (and prosecutors), be
happy to give most convicted felons probation. "Bad citizen. Go to your
room," (with a slap on the wrist).

Once again, there are no consequences in Durham.

And all of the attention is on the needs of criminals. (Who is looking out
for the interests of the victims of crime?)

The carrot of prevention is all well and good, but it is worthless with out
the stick of punishment -- which is basically unknown in Durham County.

I suppose we get the government (and justice system) we deserve.

Caleb Southern

***

Thanks, Durham voters for support, confidence
Letter: Herald-Sun

I am truly grateful for the support Durham's voters expressed in me on Nov.
7. I was particularly humbled to see both the number of voters who supported
me increase by almost 10,000, and the margin of victory increase even
further above the 55 percent I received in the primary election. Thank you.

As my campaign has emphasized, I strongly believe that crime prevention is
key, and that judges can and should be innovative in seeking ways to use the
courts to deter and prevent future crime. I am proud of the Truancy Court
program that I started, and of my colleagues who have worked with me in
making it an effective program to reorient kids who are skipping school, so
that they get off the streets, stay in school, and stay out of gangs and
criminal activity. I am proud of the Durham County Commissioners' Criminal
Justice Partnership, and grateful for the opportunity to chair the substance
abuse committee that is trying to help our addicted offenders, so that they
can get off drugs and not commit crimes to support their habits.

I pledge to continue seeking ways to improve our system of justice and our
community. I invite my former opponents and those who supported them to join
me in this effort.

The writer is a district court judge.

ANN McKOWN

November 14, 2006