INC NEWS - Trees, revised farmer's market, events & more

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 07:57:07 EST 2006

PESTed is here to help you get ready for the holidays with our annual guide
to buying Christmas trees and wreaths sustainably grown in North Carolina.
PESTed compiled a list of sources, as well as some links for more
information on Christmas trees, pesticides and farmworkers in NC.

Your purchase of a tree or wreath grown locally without pesticides makes a
difference in more ways than one - you'll be protecting your family from
pesticide residues, protecting Christmas tree workers and their families,
and supporting local growers who respect their workers and our environment.

To learn where to get  organic and sustainably-grown Christmas Trees and
wreaths  in North Carolina, including organic, visit
http://www.pested.org/involved/actionalerts/xmastrees.html
or contact Agricultural Resources Center Œs  Pesticide Education Project
(919) 833-1123 toll-free: 1-877-NO-SPRAY  http://www.pested.org

---------

TROASA is selling trees and greenery at a number of locations in Durham and
Raleigh as a fundraiser.  Some items may be shipped.

http://holidaysbytrosa.com/

---------

Thursday, November 30

Old-Time Jam

BROAD STREET CAFÉ.
1116 Broad St.
7:00 PM
Info: www.broadstreetcafe.org

----------

Friday, December 1, at 2 p.m.
East Regional Library, 211 Lick Creek Ln.   (off Highway 98 in eastern
Durham County)

Judson Edeburn, resource manager for Duke Forest at Duke University, will
discuss the history of the acquisition of Duke Forest, its management and
the many uses of the land and its resources over the past 75 years.
Free and open to the public
For more information call 560-0218.

----------

November 30 ­ December 3

Duke Players, Duke Players is the student-run leg of the Department of
Theater Studies, presents
I AM MY OWN WIFE by Doug Wright

Sheaffer Theatre, Bryan Center, West Duke Campus
8pm with 2pm matinees Sat/Sun Dec 2 & 3

$5 ($3 Duke students and faculty)

Featuring Michael Ayers; Directed by Jay OBerski

An East German transvestite may be a gay super hero or an opportunistic
double agent: you decide.

--------

Open December 2, 9, 16 & 23 then through the winter on the first and third
Saturdays of January, February and March.
Durham Farmers¹ Market  Saturdays 9 ­ 12    www.durhamfarmersmarket.com
<http://www.durhamfarmersmarket.com>

Central Park School¹s gym on Foster St, between W. Trinity and Geer Streets
& across from the Agricultural Building.
Fresh produce, cheeses, sauces, bakery goods and more.
Gifts including baskets, cards (with photographs,) beeswax candles and
plants.

-----------

Saturday, December 2

Clayworks Annual Holiday Sale
The Elk's Lodge # 568
2670 Chapel Hill Boulevard
10 am to 4 pm.
The event is free and door prizes will be awarded every 30 minutes.  For
more information call 919-967-7404 or visit
http://ncclayworks.org/

Today Clayworks has a membership of over 70 men and women from the Triangle
area in North Carolina who represent varied interests and aspects of clay.
Our members include nationally known potters, teachers, students,
professionals and beginners in functional, non-functional, sculptural and
architectural ceramics.
Claywork¹s store, gallery and classes are in downtown.  (Note the sale is at
the Elk¹s Lodge.)

------------

December 2

LITTLE WINDOWS (Mark Weems & Julee Glaub) will play for a Christmas Concert.
Come and sing carols, drink cider, and celebrate the season!
Brightleaf Square Courtyard
6-7 group carol sing and 7-8 Little Windows concert

-----------

Sunday, December 3
Bennett Place Annual Christmas open house from 1 p.m.-4 p.m

Bennett Place is located in West Durham, and can be reached by taking 15-501
North, the Durham Freeway (147), or I-85; follow the brown historic site
signs.

This event will feature the Bennett farm house decorated for the holidays.
There will be time for visiting with costumed interpreters in the historic
buildings, listening to holiday music, taking part in parlor activities,
listen to a reading of Night Before Christmas, watching a traditional
Christmas meal being prepared, learning about gifts given during the Civil
War and how those gifts made their way through the Confederate mail system.
Visitors can warm themselves by a blacksmiths forge and tasty refreshments
will be available.  This event is free and open to the public though
donations are gratefully accepted.

For further information please call 919-383-4345, email bennett at ncmail.net
or visit our website at http://www.bennettplace.nchistoricsites.org .

-----------

December 3

The Durham Symphony presents: Holiday Pops Concert with guests the Durham
School of the Arts Choir and Director Laura Ahlstrom
Welcome the Holiday Season in style and support your community¹s own
orchestra at our annual Holiday Pops Concert.  Bring your family, bring your
friends!   Call 560-2736 to reserve your seats or table.

Durham Armory
220 Foster Street
6:30pm

For Tickets: call 560-2736

Ticket Prices:
Main Floor Seating:
$30 Adults, $15 Students (ages 6-18), Free for Children under 6
$275 for a Table of 10
Balcony Seating (No dessert):
$15 Adults, $10 Students (12-18), Free for Children under 1

For more info call 560-2736

---------------

December 4  at noon

Tim Tyson,  author of ³Blood Done Sign My Name²

Stanford L. Warren Branch Library
1201 Fayetteville St.
Free and open to the public

--------

through December 31
Annual Full Bowl Full Drive bring pet food to the Carolina Theatre of Durham
for the Independent Animal Rescue association.   IAR also needs cat litter,
transport crates, large dog crates and easy-walk harnesses. Dog collars are
in ample supply and are not needed.

The cinema lobby is open from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and
from 1:30 to 9:30 p.m. on weekends.  The Carolina Theatre is located at 309
W. Morgan Street in Downtown Durham.  For more information go to
www.carolinatheatre.org or visit Biff's website at
www.ibiblio.org/biffthemoviedog.
----------

Friday, January 5 at 2 p.m.
East Regional Library, 211 Lick Creek Ln.   (off Highway 98 in eastern
Durham County)

Reyn Bowman, president, Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau

Free and open to the public
For more information call 560-0218.

-----------

through January 14
Monet exhibit

NC Museum of Art  839-6262  closed Mondays
2110 Blue Ridge Rd   near the North Carolina State Fairgrounds (R)
Sculpture walk. Changing and permanent exhibits. Live musical performances,
movies and other events.

http://www.ncartmuseum.org

Admission $15; free with membership

Tickets are for reserved time at half an hour intervals. Weekends can sell
out.  Can call or email ahead for tickets.

Monet matinees through November 16
Tues ­ Thru 2 ­ 4
$12 general admission

Hours
Tuesday ­ Thursday  and Saturday 9 ­ 5
Friday 9 ­ 9
Sunday 10 ­ 5
Closed Mondays

Extended hours Nov 30 ­ January 14
Open Thursday nights until 9 pm

------------

Friday, February 2, at 2 p.m.
East Regional Library, 211 Lick Creek Ln.   (off Highway 98 in eastern
Durham County)

Joy Javits, Performing Arts Coordinator  for the Health Arts Network at Duke
(HAND)
Free and open to the public
For more information call 560-0218.

-------------

February 13-April 2, 2007

Claymakers¹ First Annual Juried Competition and Exhibition: Vessels 2007

Claymakers  530-8355
705 Foster Street

-----------

old time music JAMS & DANCES

BROAD STREET CAFÉ Old-Time Jam-Durham: The Broad Street Café, 1116 Broad St,
Durham is going to resume having an old-time jam again on Nov 30th at 7PM.
We are welcomed back by the new owner, Jonathan.  We have been given the
opportunity to get together on every  Thursday *except* the 3rd Thurs of the
month.  Let's all provide our support towards Jonathan, during our jam
evenings, as he takes on this new business. Info: www.broadstreetcafe.org ,
Patty Forster patty.forster at earthlink.net --

NC SQUARES-DURHAM SQUARE DANCES Durham. Second Saturdays, Pleasant Green
Community Center. Come at 7:30 for a lesson, 8:00-dance For directions &
caller & band schedule, go to: www.duke.edu/%7ereed/ncsquares.html -WCOM,
CARRBORO¹S ALL-VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY RADIO

------------

New restaurants

*Piedmont  683-1213  Lunch & dinner, Saturday and Sunday brunches. Closed
Tuesdays.  Live music Saturday or Sunday brunch.
401 Foster St (across from the YMCA)
North Carolina ingredients with traditional French and Italian methods.
Upscale prices.

*Rue Cler  682-8844  lunch week days; dinner except Sunday
401 E Chapel Hill St (across fro Post office & parking deck)
French bistro and ala carte. Upscale prices.

Rue Cler Bakery & Café 682-8844 weekdays
401 E Chapel Hill St
Breakfast sandwiches, bakery goods, coffee & steamers, to go sandwiches.
Moderate prices.

Xiloa  286-1430
748 9th St
Juice bar (fresh, some with unusual flavors)  Central America, Caribbean,
South Western American influenced specialties, Native American dishes.
Moderate prices.

Laura