INC NEWS - Durham does need a change...

Newman Aguiar newman at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 8 14:16:23 EDT 2007

Mike,

Who can argue with safety?  The safety argument does not hold water in this
instance.  If fact, the safety argument has been grossly misused by this
proposal.  The DOT has done many studies on pedestrian safety at
intersections and it is clear that intersections are not safe places for
pedestrians.  However, in the case of pan handlers or street side vendors,
what little information is available, actually suggests that their risk is
less than that of the average pedestrian crossing the street.  If you think
about it, there is a logical explanation for this phenomenon.

To give you one alternative . if safety of pedestrian/drivers is truly the
concern, there is a growing body of very strong evidence of the very real
and critical hazards associated with the use of cell phones in vehicles.  If
the commissioners are concerned about safety, banning the use of cell phones
would have a more direct and dramatic effect on both pedestrian and driver
safety.

Also, as noted by many posters, this proposal is not applicable within city
limits and would not address ''the problem" you describe.  For good reasons,
the Durham City Council has previously rejected by overwhelming majority a
similar proposal in the past.

Cheers.

Newman

  _____