INC NEWS - Clarification on Epcon Development (A07-13 and Z07-26): Jan. 28 BOCC Agenda

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 22:18:34 EST 2008

Sorry for the confusion. I am having a hard time
learning to be BOTH brief AND clear :)

The Epcon development is not seeking to be mixed
residential-commercial, but is seeking to have the
portion that is currently zoned as low density to be
zoned as low-medum density (INCREASING the density).
They are also seeking to rezone from RS-20 (0.33 -
0.75 Units/acre) to PDR 4.5 (4.5 units/acre, which can
certainly contain non-residential components).

(The agenda portion of my previous email seems to have
a typo indicating that the reverse is the case.) The
developers pitched it as a senior citizen development
(w/ over 80% of housing requiring residents 55 years
of age or more), and I'm told that there is no
language in the plans committing this to be the case.
So that is problem #1.

Problem number 2 is that Durham expended a lot of time
and resources (including those of citizens AND
developers) to come up with a comprehensive plan, only
a couple of years ago. The integrity of all this work
is in question if it is simply to be
abandoned/ammended whenever citizens don't speak up
against it. I thought the comprehensive plan was
developed so we citizens wouldn't have to go through
this time and time again.

The mixed commercial-residential development I
referred to is on 751, and they just submitted their
comprehensive plan amendment case. It has not been
reviewed by the planning commission yet. But it is
already highly controversial. More on that later...

The following webpages have all the background on the
Epcon application (considered back in November and
December).

WRT the rezoning:
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/planning/zoning_committee/items/Z07-26.pdf

WRT the comprehensive plan ammendment: