INC NEWS - Support Protection for Serenity Point (Topsail Beach) and other Natural NC Areas

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 21:06:47 EST 2008

Hello. Please see the text below -- it took me only 2
minutes (literally) to use this link to contact my
state legislators. Thanks! Melissa (Roone

_______________________________

Please take a moment to send to an e-mail to your
state legislator, asking them to fulfill North
Carolina's million-acre goal by preserving Serenity
Point (on the southern tip of Topsail Island in Pender
County) and other natural areas for future
generations.

To take action click on the link below or copy and
paste into your browser.  Then, forward this e-mail to
your friends and family!

http://environmentnorthcarolina.org/action/preservation/millionacre/legislator?id4=ES

One of the few undeveloped beaches left on our coast,
Serenity Point is home to native and threatened
wildlife, including the Loggerhead Sea Turtle.  State
officials have approved $1 million to protect Serenity
Point from development but more funds are needed to
protect this treasured coastal area.

>From the Smokies to the Outer Banks, North Carolina is
known for its natural beauty.  But the state's rapid
development -- the sixth fastest in the nation -- is
jeopardizing some of our state's most treasured
forests and farmlands.

In 2000, state leaders responded to the state's
uncontrolled growth by promising to protect an
additional one million acres of open spaces across the
state.

Thanks to overwhelming citizen support, in 2007,
lawmakers and Gov. Easley approved an unprecedented
increase in open space conservation funds-to the tune
of $128 million.

Now, North Carolina is closer than ever to fulfilling
the million-acre promise. That's why Environment North
Carolina is calling on Gov. Easley to allocate an
additional $250 million to finish the job.

Now is the time to let state legislators know you
support fulfulling North Carolina's million-acre goal.

To take action, click on the link below or copy and
paste into your browser:

http://environmentnorthcarolina.org/action/preservation/millionacre/legislator?id4=ES

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Ouzts
Environment North Carolina State Director
ElizabethO at environmentnorthcarolina.org
http://www.environmentnorthcarolina.org