INC NEWS - DPS vote to request/accept 6.6 million: clarification

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 20:42:06 EST 2008

I mentioned in my e-mail (Friday night) to the INC
listserve that the school board unanimously supported
action to ask the County Commissioners for $6.6
million.

Just wanted to clarify that I have since been informed
that this money actually won't go to hiring more
teachers for S. Durham Schools. $3.95 million will be
added to current funds to secure land for south Durham
schools and the rest will go to support a budget
increase in the Holton School project.

The county approved issuing these bonds last Monday
and the school board voted Thursday at the public
hearing to accept them. Here's an N&O story that tells
more detail about the bonds approved last week.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/durham/durham/story/923812.html

So, though DPS definitely needs these funds, it looks
like they've already been approved and the DPS vote
was more of a formality.

That said, we desperately need even more funding for
our overcrowded schools, particularly for more staff
and teaching resources right now -- South (and North,
from what I understand) Durham teachers are hard
pressed, and it's only getting tougher on them as the
schools get more and more over capacity.

It is clear that I believe that Durham development
approvals in this area should be put on hold until the
schools at least catch up to their CURRENT enrollment.

Just wanted to ensure I corrected any misinformation
out there.

Melissa

Melissa Rooney, Ph.D.
Fairfield Community Awareness,