INC NEWS - [pac2] Re: [CVNA] Tree cutting policy and Duke Power

bragin at nc.rr.com bragin at nc.rr.com
Fri Feb 29 10:28:29 EST 2008

I would recommend contacting Alex Johnson of the city's Department of Urban Forestry to discuss these situations.

alexander.johnson at durhamnc.gov
560-4197 ext 275

He is very knowledgeable and can explain the situation and provide assistance if it turns out that Duke Energy is not following the agreements made with the city in the past regarding trimming or tree removal.

Barry Ragin

---- Jada Kaye <jadakaye at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
Well, we have three bright green flags on trees in our side yard.
  Actually, two of the trees are in my neighbor's yard and one is in the space between my driveway and hers.
  They aren't doing anything to the lines that I can see.
  But they are coming down ... and (this is the part that bugs me most right now) Duke Energy is going to leave the STUMP and the wood.
  Why??
  Neither my 15 year old daughter, nor my 80+ year old neighbor, nor I can do ANYTHING to get rid of three tree stumps and a big pile of wood.
  Dangerous!!
  What do I do about THAT???

Michael Halligan <ncwesty1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
          This has been happening throughout the city.  Unfortunately I can't really say what I think of Duke power as this is a public forum.  It's really sad that our city council and mayor let this happen. Sure they are "trimming" the trees to protect the power lines and exposing more of our homes to the heat of the sun so we have to use more power to cool them down.  I'd at least call  Duke power and complain and send an email to City Council.

Angel Romero <aromero at ibiblio.org> wrote:       Today a Duke Power representative came by and told my wife that they
wanted to trim or, better yet, remove our only front yard tree. This
tree doesn't interfere with the power lines and provides great shade in
the summer.

What we have been told is that we have no recourse and that if an
engineer esteems that our tree is a potential threat to the power lines,
they can can get rid of it.

I imagine they are planning a tree 'trimming' down our street, which
probably means the death of numerous trees, judging by what has happened
in other neighborhoods.

How a corporation can get away with this kind of stuff boggles my mind.
Do we have a recourse? Can't our representatives at state level remove
this authority?

We have a company that has a monopoly and makes profits, but refuses to
enter the 21st century. They keep using outdated methods of providing
energy in urban areas. Instead of burying lines, they continue to do it
the old way, wasting money on poles, fleets of trucks with lifts and so
forth.

--
A. Romero
Colonial Village