INC NEWS - [durhamenviro] Tree Save Resolution -- to be discussed at May 27th INC meeting

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 10:25:31 EDT 2008

Here's a suggestion that was proposed several years ago.

Recommendation to form a study commission to research the possibilities,
options and funding sources for Durham to underground overhead utilities

Respectfully submitted by Mike Shiflett December 2002

Shortly after the winter ice storm of 2001

Reasons:

Recent natural disasters (ice storm/hurricanes) have demonstrated the
vulnerability of overhead utilities to damage by falling tree branches and
whole trees.  Despite the Herculean prophylactic efforts of the utility
companies in tree trimming to prevent this from occurring, utility lines are
still coming down.  Recent estimates from the recent ice storm damage done
in North Carolina range from $115 to close to $200 million, but I believe
this is but a small fraction of the final impact this last catastrophe will
cost us.

Utility companies spend tremendous amounts of money to repair and replace
these lines, not to mention the phenomenal inconveniences to the public in
general who have to live through the experience each time.  The impact on
the handicap, the infirmed and the poor are exaggerated when these 'events'
occur.   Fran was just six years ago.   When are we going to through this
again?  What can we do to help reduce the next events' big impact?

The costs, coupled with the lost revenues from missed retail sales,
disruption of work and closed businesses along with their related tax
collections, also creates an environment where people are exposed to unsafe
practices (improper use of heating sources) and transportation (more car
wrecks), not to mention the additional work hazards that repair personnel
are exposed to under these extreme conditions.

These are local issues.  We can't always depend on Federal assistance (FEMA)
to cover them.  And let's not forget about the insurance claims that have
been submitted over the last month.  These losses are not going to be
forgotten.   We eventually have to pay for these through higher premiums all
across the board.

The environmental impact of continued 'power line clearance' trimming of
urban street trees is disastrous.   Not only does constant trimming decrease
the filtering ability of our tree canopy's biomass, but improper techniques
of unbalanced tree branch trimming causes even more trees to fall into the
street (or worse, onto homes and businesses).  The Triangle is about to
reach "noncompliant status" in EPA air quality standards in 2004.   Why
would we continue to promote a program that will continually diminish the
cleansing affect our trees have, particularly in our urban core where most
of it is generated?

With these conditions still fresh in our minds, we propose that a citizen
led study be convened to look into the possible long-term solutions of
burying utilities.   Composed of a number of different shareholders that
would work together through a team effort in cooperation with
representatives from the community, Durham City and County departments,
industry and the educational sector can thoroughly investigate the
possibilities and potential costs vs benefits to our community..

Recommendation to form a study commission to research the possibilities,
options and funding sources for Durham to underground overhead utilities

Page 2

Subjects to investigate:

#1- Current state of the art and techniques for burying underground
utilities, what options are available?  What are the related costs for each
of these?   Which ones are applicable to Durham's topography?

            Overhead transmission lines run at 72,000 volts transformers and
are taken down to 220 service lines on most electrical grids in the
city/county.

#2- What other Southern cities with populations similar to Durham are
looking into this  (or attempting it right now)

            What leverage does a municipality have over a utility with their
renewable Franchise Agreements to implement a study or start implementing a
plan?

3#- How can enabling legislation to create 'Utility Districts' facilitate a
funding mechanism to help mitigate costs?

            One suggestion might be to access a $1 to 5 fee for
customers/commercial users in the areas to be improved to help mitigate or
share in these costs

#4- What are the ongoing costs for maintaining the status quo?

         Periodic maintenance of lines

         Preventive 'clearance' by tree trimming

         Repair costs after disasters

         Repair costs after minor damage (car wrecks, negligence, other
accidents)

#5- Incorporating Streetscaping into the urban fabric using removable
sidewalk pads, curb and gutter ditch conduits, tree replenishment techniques
at the same time

#6- What CDBG funding sources are available?

#7- Can undergrounding utilities be 'phased in' by targeting the more
sensitive areas like hospitals, emergency response and public works
infrastructures first along with nursing homes and prisons,  then
residential neighborhoods?

Below are some organizations and groups that might initially be considered
and invited to participate;

Duke School/UNC School for the Environment

Duke Energy

CP&L

Public Works- Chris Boyer/Katie Kalb

Planning- Jane Korrest (Natural Resource Ordinance)
Sierra Club

local Arbor Day Society

Appearance Commission- George Stanziale

InterNeighborhood Council
Partners Against Crime/DBAC- CPTED principles

Budget Departments

DDI

Parks/Recreation

City & NC Dept of Transportation

Representation from experienced CDC's (Trinity Heights, Homeowners
Association, planned communities)

Durham Public Schools-impact of lost school days

Durham County Extension Office- Paul McKenzie

Durham cable and phone companies

NC Arboretum/NC Nursery Association

Others?

Mike Shiflett