INC NEWS - UDO and impervious surfaces

Barry Ragin bragin at nc.rr.com
Sat Apr 19 16:53:26 EDT 2008

Thanks, Pat. i'm not a lawyer, but the way i read that section,
"residential uses may only utilize designated driveways
<http://www.durhamnc.gov/udo/viewPopup.asp?Index=4241> within any yard
area between the primary structure and the street for parking," it seem
pretty clear that driveways are not supposed to extend beyond "the
primary structure." This is of course poorly worded - houses with
detached garages often have them set behind or to the side of the house.
Nevertheless that's what the code is. Runoff is the key issue for me,
with appearance secondary. I should think that the city and county would
be equally concerned with runoff issues as well.

That does not appear to be the case.

If your recommendations are in fact put into the code, how would that
impact construction that was done before these amendments are adopted? I
would also ask that the number of vehicles that can be parked in a back
yard is explicitly limited, to perhaps two, regardless of whether they
are in operating condition or not. If you're storing more than two cars
in your back yard, may i suggest you consider renting commercial storage
space for your vehicles? If you're regularly parking more than two
vehicles in your back yard, then you've essentially created an entire
yard of impervious surface, as well as making wonder what sort of
commercial enterprise you're engaging in.

best,
Barry Ragin