INC NEWS - Action Update: Increased Compliance Checks of Retail Outlets - Durham TRY

pinnaclecdc at aol.com pinnaclecdc at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 13:17:30 EDT 2008

Dear PAC 1,?PAC 2, and Inter-neighborhood Council Members,

?

In an effort to?be accountable to you for your support, I wanted to make sure to provide you with the following update: As you may recall from my presentation, current research shows that effective and regular compliance checks help decrease alcohol sales to minors; helps reduce underage drinking; helps reduce traffic crashes, violence, and other health problems associated with alcohol; and helps build healthier and safer communities.

?

I had a productive meeting with Captain Ron Evans and Sheriff Worth Hill. They are in agreement with us that this needs to be done. They will hold a subsequent meeting with Randy Mills, Durham Alcohol Beverage Control and NC Alcohol Law Enforcement to work out the logistics.?TRY greatly appreciates these efforts.

?

TRY's?requests that: (to be shared with PACs quarterly or more frequently as needed)?

TRY receive stats identifying stores that sell illegally to minors,

checks be performed using adults that appear to be under the age of 21 when possible

checks routinely include Duke and NCCU at least quarterly

receive all names and locations of compliant and non-compliant stores,

receive number of non compliant sales by store,

notification of fines

verification?that site receives training?

TRY will provide training, posters and certificates of appreciation to establishments that do not sell to underage youth as a result of the Compliance Check process.

?

If PACs 3,4,5 and/or other organizations are interested in joining this grassroots effort. Please let me know. I am sure that you?agree that this joint effort will result in increased compliance, decrease in underage drinking and an increase in the quality of life for the citizens of Durham.

?

Best regards,

Wanda