INC NEWS - Letter: effort to "streamline" development process

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 22:40:22 EDT 2008

AGain, couldn't agree more. There are PLENTY of homes
available for renovation and resale in the Durham City
area, where Duke, Downtown, Parks, Brighleaf Square
and Tobacco District are a short bike ride away. I
don't understand why the development community is
insistent upon creating a mini-city (with regard to
recreation, shops, etc.) within a community on the
outskirts of Durham, when the city itself awaits...and
these homes in the city, even after renovation, are
usually less expensive than the $300,000 homes being
built in these mixed-use developments. But I guess
there are a lot of people who want to make their fast
money off of the family farmland...

Melissa

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2008/05/09/mosquito_fish/
> [...]
> experienced by the Las Vegas in the example Randy
> cites. But we agree that Las Vegas' growth was
> unsustainable. Why in the world would we want to
> engage in even higher unsustainable growth here? It'
> s not like we have infinite acreage of undeveloped
> desert ringing our city that we can plop down
> infinite numbers of subdivisions. I think it will be
> interesting to see what Las Vegas' population is 10
> years from now, don't you? Same with ours. Putting a
> million new people in this area is going to make it
> a whole lot less desirable, and who knows what
> effect that will have on future growth rates. It's
> all just speculation, anyway. Right?
>   >
>   > "But the downside of all this growth (in
> residential units) is that this is the worst kind of
> development to have. Residents demand many services
> but rarely pay for
>   > them in additional taxes. So our entire tax
> system gets more costly for all of us. We need a
> healthy mix of industrial, commercial and then
> residential to keep it all at some sort of
> sustainable level."
>   >
>   > Quite right. The question is, how does this
> happen? I think it's clear from looking at examples
> of good development and bad development, not only
> around the Triangle, but around the country and
> indeed the rest of the world, that you can't rely on
> "the market" to ensure the "healthy mix" required to
> create sustainable development. The community,
> through both the professional planning staff and the
> elected political leadership, needs to be a part of
> the decision making process. the proposed
> "streamlining" of the development review process
> removes opportunities for community involvement, and
> increases reliance on "the market" to ensure proper
> development. But all the market does is base
> decision making on higher short term profits for
> developers, and not on long term community needs,
> meeting which are almost always more profitable in
> the long term for the community anyway.
>   >
>   > Finally, just a quick note on the farm issue. I
> think Randy's confused. On the one hand, he argues
> that farmers have no incentive to keep their land in
> production when they could sell it to developers and
> make more of a profit than if they continued to
> farm. On the other, he argues that farmers are
> already getting too much money to keep their land
> fallow and undeveloped, and turning a profit without
> producing food. I can't refute either of those,
> since they're mutually contradictory. I will note,
> though, that when Randy says "Let markets decide
> what something costs. The downside to this is
> shortages as farmers quit growing a crop because
> it's no longer profitable," he's got a point. But
> the whole purpose of the subsidy and floor pricing
> structure for farm products is to avoid food
> shortages. Because one of the result of food
> shortages is that people starve. And in most
=== message truncated ===>