INC NEWS - Neighborhood Advocate: request for more information

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Fri May 16 01:11:59 EDT 2008

Randy & All

Want to remain on topic as Ronnie suggests, but don't want to ignore  Randy's
sidebar either.

Randy asks:
"So why do we need someone to advocate a set of rules that we have a  staff
of paid governmental employees already following?"

I'll admit I once took that same stance, wondering if we were asking for an
umpire to monitor the umpires if this were baseball. Most baseball games have
calls that everyone can't agree on, but employing umps to referee the umps
doesn't make sense.

>From the neighborhood's perspective, this request isn't generated from the
position that the City staff doesn't know what they are doing, it's from
thinking we neighborhoods don't understand that system well enough to react
properly. It's a well rehearsed routine for the usual players, but for the
neighborhoods, it's a first time experience... almost every time.

Our heavily "neighborhood oriented" nature is probably Durham's strongest
suit.
The city staff appointed to interfacing with the public are doing a good
job, but the neighborhood's ability to deal with the city still varies from one
issue to another, and from one neighborhood to another, dependent on that
particular neighborhood's ability to field an often unexpected pitch... keeping
this on a baseball theme.

The developers are always pro, the city and county must remain neutral in a
perfect world, that leaves the neighborhoods to defend themselves, if need be,
 and IF they can organize fast enough, and learn the same ropes the
neighborhood before them learned.

I'm in favor of a neighborhood advocate.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 5/15/2008 10:48:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
randy at 27beverly.com writes:

We  already have a "staff" doing this job. They're called City/County
Planning.  But for some reason, and short of hearing the same few
"mistakes", could  anyone tell us why their collective knowledge and wisdom
is not to be  trusted? There may be some gaps in the UDO that need fixing,
and there may  be some less-than-qualified folks in the Planning Department
that should be  removed, but it's a set of rules that they follow as well
as developers.  It's not like they get to adjust them one way or the other
to make  developers happy. And to even think that is absurd. They're the
same rules  that everyone follows!

So why do we need someone to advocate a set of  rules that we have a staff
of paid governmental employees already  following? It just seems so
redundant to add another layer of uncertainty.  And like Mikes asks, who
will this NA support; the neighborhoods (or just  some small faction of it
that thinks it's more right), the City/County by  which feeds his/her
family as an employee, or some other yet to be  determined bunch? Unless
it's a HOA doing the asking, I know of no  neighborhood association in town
that even speaks for half of the  population of the particular
neighborhood. Take Trinity Park for example;  there are three different
associations/HOA's/groups there. Which one is  more right? And which one
does the NA speak for on an issue?

The  best thing that can happen anywhere across this City/County is to
organize  neighborhoods. They become better places to live (in most cases)
when they  all get together regularly and discuss what's going on. And who
am I (or  you) to be the one who decides what is right or wrong for a
particular  neighborhood? Take Turnage Heights for example (since it keeps
coming up as  the poster child). Not everyone there was against it; just a
vocal few who  took it as about as far as they could to stop the warehouse
from happening.  And that's typically the case. Most neighborhoods are
filled with neighbors  who really don't care what's going on around them
because life itself is  tough enough. So why should anyone impose what they
think is right on a  neighborhood that, in general, could care less? I
certainly don't think it  would be right.

I don't see very much happening in the development  business around here
that is not scrutinized and re-scrutinized before it  finally gets approved
(and they all don't!).  And if rezoning has to  happen, then certainly the
public has a great opportunity for input. But if  it is zoned for what a
developer desires to build, who (and in this case it  would be anybody)
should be able to say a developer shouldn't build it  because for whatever
reason, someone who lives nearby doesn't like the  idea? I don't think
there is any substitute for paying  attention....

We developed a number of neighborhoods around here in the  80's. We didn't
have (as John suggests) " the financial resources and teams  of experts --
lawyers, land planners and designers, traffic and civil  engineers,
consultants, lobbyists and others -- to ensure their plans  comply with the
standard required for approval." We did it as I suggested  earlier on a
shoe string budget. We joint ventured many of the parts of the  development
because of the financial resources necessary. And slowing down  the process
only added to the burden. Some of the folks on this list live  in these
neighborhoods. I doubt they even consider what it took to develop  the
neighborhood they live in. And the new neighborhoods on the planning  board
now will be no different. Future neighbors/shoppers/workers will need  it
all as well.

What bothers me and a number of others in our  community is the lack of
commercial and industrial land available for  development. Without these
two types of land available (and a general  resistance to rezone land to
make them so), our tax base will grow on the  residential side but will not
have the commercial and industrial tax base  to keep our taxes on an even
course. Because of the added burden  residential units place on the service
end of our government, taxes will  continue to climb even though we're
adding housing units at an accelerated  rate. Without industry and
commercial to balance it out, there is no end to  how high the taxes will
go. So consider this the next time you don't want a  commercial property in
your neighborhood (much less an industrial one).  Without them, we're taxed
to death in residential...

RWP
27  Beverly

INC-list  mailing  list