INC NEWS - Durham residents seek to keep say in growth (News & Observer)

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 18:26:14 EDT 2008

Among the neighborhood folks discussing the UDO, one of our strongest and most repeated requests was notification more than 2 weeks before the hearing.  We kept being told that state law sets a limit of 25 days, but I never got a satisfactory answer about whether that was at least 25 or no more than 25.

I think more clarity on what department does what would be helpful to neighborhoods as well as developers (you need to know who to complain to)

My understanding is that re-zoning is not a right -- it is completely a political question of what is best for the community.  The job of the Planning Department is to make sure that the planned development works technically -- they deal only with what the law says.  The law can never be delicate enough to deal with reality -- which is why you have the Planning Commission and elected officials.

Regards, pat