INC NEWS - perhaps this issue is a different one...

bragin at nc.rr.com bragin at nc.rr.com
Mon May 19 14:08:46 EDT 2008

As i read the article, tonight's vote is for a rezoning, which can certainly be rejected for any reason. Additionally, according to Ray Gronberg: "Rezonings under local and state law are legislative matters, which means that elected officials can reject an application for almost any reason. State law also allows people in most cities to file a formal "protest petition" that forces supporters to muster support from three-fourths of the city's governing board.

Neighbors of the Fairfield project have filed such a petition, which means at least six City Council members have to vote for the zoning for it to pass."

Barry Ragin
---- Melissa Rooney <mmr121570 at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
Well said, Randy. Over the years, there have been
numerous such cases down here in Rural/Suburban South
Durham, where the PC overwhelmingly voted against and
the governing bodies approved anyway...to the point
that members of my neighborhood listserv quite
literally couldn't believe the facts that I
presented....they said, 'what do we have a Planning
commission for, if we citizens then have to truck up
to City Hall in order to hope to be heard...and even
then it's just a hope.'

It's often argued that the gov't can't legally vote
against a development for one reason or another.
That's when I say, 'change the local ordinances to
reflect real citizens' concerns.'

Melissa