INC NEWS - Kids Voting Needs Your Help

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Mon May 19 22:28:05 EDT 2008

If you think it's important for us to teach ourt children that this
country is  what it is because we have an opportunity to vote, then a
simple email to the legislators below can help. Thanks for your support.
RWP
27 Beverly

The Kids Voting NC appropriate bill Will be introduced on Wednesday May
21.  We want to have all Durham’s representatives and Durham’s Senator to
sign on to the bill before Wednesday — but they need to hear from you,
their constituents that you value this program.  Please call or email your
Representative today or tomorrow, ask them to sign on the bill
(instructions below), and tell them why you value Kids Voting in Durham.
 Last year we had both Paul Luebke and Jeanne Lucas signed on.  This year,
we want Floyd McKissick to carry on Sen. Lucas’s strong legacy of KV
support and we like all four Durham representatives to sign on.

Talk points are below and more attached and here is contact information
for Durham’s representatives:
Floyd McKissick:  floydm at ncleg.net  , 733-4599
Paul Luebke:  paull at ncleg.net  , 733-7663
Larry Hall:  larryh at ncleg.net  , 733-5872
Henry (Mickey) Michaux:  mickeym at ncleg.net  , 715-2528
Winkie Wilkins:  winkew at ncleg.net  , 715-0850

The general assembly is the biggest donor to Kids Voting Durham, and we
need their support again this year to be successful.  Thanks for your
continuing support,

Carolyn
Kids Voting Durham

NOTES FROM KVNC DIRECTOR DAINTRY O’BRIEN:

The Kids Voting appropriation bills have been drafted and are ready for
co-sponsors.  The bills will be introduced on Wednesday, May 21. The House
bill is currently in Rep. Jeffus office waiting for members to come by and
sign on to the bill.  The Senate bill is in Senator Rand's office, waiting
for Senators to come by and sign on.  Members can also sign on once the
bill has been introduced up to 30 minutes after session.  Please ask your
Representatives and Senators to sign on, preferably in advance.  Attached
is a draft copy of the bill and the talking points Kelley sent out earlier
this week.  Please try to visit with your delegation on Tuesday, if you
don't get to see them make sure they know that you came by.  Write a quick
note asking that they sign on to the bill, that it will be introduced on
5/21 and tell them where to find it.  Then follow up with an email to
reinforce the note.  If you will not be in Raleigh, please email your
people.

GA reconvenes Monday at 7pm, Tuesday starting 8:30am are several
appropriations meetings,  Session has not been set yet for Tuesday, but it
will probably be 2-3pm. (That's what it usually is for a Tuesday)

If asked why we need additional funds? The answer:  We have almost doubled
students participating (through new programs AND growth in student pop. in
all of the KV counties)  Since 2003, the per student funding has dropped
from 45¢/student to 30¢ in 2007.  This amount will get us back to the 45¢
amount.(or close to it depending on #s)

Please let me know who you talk to and the responses that you get from
them.  I've seen several people over the last few days and all are very
enthusiastic and supportive but they will need that extra push from their
constituents.

If you have questions or problems, call me.  My cell phone is
336-202-2066.  I will be in the office most of Monday but I will have to
visit the copy center at some point to get materials for the board
meeting.

thanks and good luck.
dob
--
Carolyn Kreuger
Kids Voting Durham
carolyn at kidsvotingdurham.org
www.kidsvotingdurham.org

“Its real cool to vote.  You can choose what your world will be like.”
Ben, 2nd grade