INC NEWS - Let's give it a chance. Let's see what can be improved &work to make it better...

Colin Crossman crc128 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 23:14:35 EDT 2008

Melissa-

What you seem to describe through your post is an educator or a
facilitator, rather than an advocate. If that is the intent, then what I
write below probably isn't relevant. When the person steps over from an
education role into an advisory or advocacy role, however, things will
become considerably more complicated, especially if the person is an
attorney. Though you point this out in some places, I don't believe that
you fully capture the extent of the problem.

In short, simple conflicts of interest can often be handled by simple
disclosure.

Conflicts of interests, between several clients, when the party with the
potential conflict is an attorney, paid by a third party who may be
adverse to one or more clients, is quite another. Attorneys are bound by
rules of professional conduct that regulate precisely these sorts of
problems. Specifically, RPC 1.7 (reprinted below) guides conflicts of
interest.

It is absolutely not clear that /legal/ representation of a neighborhood
will pass muster on both (a) and all four points of (b) every time, and
yet the job responsibilities of the Neighborhood Advocate would likely
compel the employee to act in favor of one faction or another. Without
further study of the rules of professional conduct and the ethics
rulings, and potentially a formal blessing from the State Bar, I would
think that only a foolish attorney would consider this position -
especially where there are litigious and litigation capable neighbors
who may disagree with the representation filed on their behalf.

Also note, that though (b)(4) allows for informed consent, that is only
allowable if (b)(1) is also true, which may be problematic if there are
two factions that oppose interest.

If, on the other hand, the attorney is limited to providing information
- and not representation in front of a body - then it may not be a problem.

-Colin

      Rule 1.7 Conflict of Interest: Current Clients

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), a lawyer shall not represent a
client if the representation involves a concurrent conflict of interest.
A concurrent conflict of interest exists if:

(1) the representation of one client will be directly adverse to another
client; or

(2) the representation of one or more clients may be materially limited
by the lawyer’s responsibilities to another client, a former client, or
a third person, or by a personal interest of the lawyer.

(b) Notwithstanding the existence of a concurrent conflict of interest
under paragraph (a), a lawyer may represent a client if:

(1) the lawyer reasonably believes
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/nc/code/NC_CODE.HTM#Reasonable_belief>
that the lawyer will be able to provide competent and diligent
representation to each affected client;

(2) the representation is not prohibited by law;

(3) the representation does not involve the assertion of a claim by one
client against another client represented by the lawyer in the same
litigation or other proceeding before a tribunal
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/nc/code/NC_CODE.HTM#Tribunal>; and

(4) each affected client gives informed consent
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/nc/code/NC_CODE.HTM#Informed_consent>,
confirmed in writing
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/nc/code/NC_CODE.HTM#Confirmed_in_writing>.