INC NEWS - So, a developer and a community guy are sitting at Rue Cler...

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 15:14:31 EDT 2008

Developer: We need to find a "quicker way" to get
projects through because "new development creates
much-needed property tax revenue for our city and
county governments."

Community: It's not that simple. New residential
development doesn't pay for itself.

Developer: What!?

Community: For every dollar in property tax and other
revenues generated by residential land uses, local
governments spend $1.54 to provide services. This
contradicts claims that residential development is a
boon to county finances due to its expansion of the
property tax base.

Developer: Well, don't look behind that curtain...
Look over here -- commercial development will recoup
the lost money.

Community: So, to make up for the money lost for new
residential development, we need more commercial
development?

Developer: Yes.

Community: So, the solution to our problems with
sprawl is more... sprawl?

Developer: Yes. It's the perfect solution.

Community: Thanks, you're very clear.

****

Our taxes keep going up while traffic congestion gets
worse, kids go to school in trailers, and air quality
suffers.

Meanwhile, the development industry continues to be
the biggest contributors to local political campaigns
(and spend big bucks opposing school impact fees and
other efforts to fill the gap).

The solution to sprawl isn't more sprawl.

We can do better. We can start by getting rid of these
proposals from the development industry to
"streamline" the approval process:

* don't jettison the Planning Commission's ability to
defer a project,

* don't speed up annexations.

warmest regards,
John