INC NEWS - Column: City cuts would hurt arts scene in Durham (Herald-Sun)

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 20:29:27 EDT 2008

Although I fully support the arts and think it is one
of the most identifying thing about Durham, the bigger
way that we are cutting off our nose to spite our face
is that we are allowing relatively unchecked
development in rural and suburban Durham, of which
'mixed-use developments' are becoming quite popular.
This can only detract from prospective home buyers in
the city of Durham, where mixed use already exists --
and mixed use that constitutes a vibrant city rather
than a facade like Meadowmont (however pleasant it may
be). If people want to walk to the YMCA or bike to the
grocery store, they can do it simply by buying a house
in Durham. Admittedly that house may need to be
renovated, but the going price is an awful lot cheaper
than the >$300,000 'new' houses that they are stapling
together in South Durham.

Melissa

Melissa Rooney
mmr121570 at yahoo.com