INC NEWS - any cuts just has to hurt somewhere...

Angel Romero aromero at ibiblio.org
Sat Jun 7 05:54:45 EDT 2008

Here is a perspective from California,
http://www.newsreview.com/chico/Content?oid=672865.

I haven't had much time to jump into the debate, but I also believe that
Durham is a little different from other nearby cities. We have a larger
amount of artists and the arts generate good jobs and stimulate the
economy.

I was in Brazil last year and they have a Federal law that mandates that
a small percentage of the sales tax has to to be spent in arts and
cultural activities. With such funding they have built amazing cultural
centers called SESCs, where the youth can learn music, radio,
filmmaking, etc. I would support such a law or, better yet, a luxury tax.

Efficiency seems to be a problem in the use of taxpayers funds. For
example, I've seen several urban schools in Durham turned into faith
based community centers or other things. In the meantime, we build
enormous one-floor school buildings in the middle of nowhere and then
bus in most students, which means fleets of buses and high fuel costs.
Why can't be build two or three story schools (at least for high school
age students)? Why can't we take over some of the gargantuan high school
stadiums and turn them into buildings, with indoor gyms? Why can't be
have smaller schools?

Angel Romero

Reyn Bowman wrote:
> You may be right.  While used differently in each state, the approach
> has had a positive track record in a number of states, including South
> Carolina, Virginia and Minnesota.
>
> Reyn

>>> year. So it's even short before we get to the next new budget to
>>> increase

--
Angel Romero
World Music Central