INC NEWS - REAP: Reasons for Environmental Amendments and Protections to the UDO

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 21:58:39 EDT 2008

The volunteer committee for this issue (see subject line) met on July 5 and had extensive discussion of the Resolution (for Environmentally Sensitive Development) presented at the June INC meeting (and previously to the INC listserv), then spent a week amending the resolution to accommodate all present.

Upon submission to the INC board, it was decided to continue working on the more general resolution, with the plan to post to the listserv and discuss at our July meeting, voting upon it at our August meeting.

Nonetheless, we agreed that the specific information outlined by the committee was important as an educational resource and would like to encourage all INC members to read and think on these points, noting that each specific request has now been supported by reliable sources (which are included in footnotes to the text). Please note that these specifics deal with RURAL and SUBURBAN, as opposed to urban, in-fill development (which is a separate issue).

Feel free to discuss the attached information with your neighborhood and submit your own specific requests for consideration (not necessarily implementation) by the Joint City County Planning Commission (City Council and County Board of Commissioners) directly. I have been informed that there will be discussion of environmental enhancements to the UDO at the next JCCPC meeting -- Aug 6, 10 AM, City Hall.

You can also appeal to the JCCPC independently, as a private citizen, if you feel so inclined.

CC and BOCC Contact info below.

Sincerely, Melissa
P.S. Please let me know if you have problems reading the attachment.

Durham County Board of Commissioners
Ellen W. Reckhow, Chairman
200 East Main Street
2nd Floor, Old Courthouse