INC NEWS - Dependence on Government and money to solve our problems?

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Jul 18 21:32:08 EDT 2008

We did just what Mike suggested this past Sunday as four of us (we did use
a chain saw to cut up limbs that were to large to handle) finished a job I
started the week after July 4th. We had 19 piles of debris that were
collected from the storm, consolidated for easy pickup, all from the east
side of Forest Hills Park. And Mike's right, we can do a lot and we did.

Forest Hills was the first neighborhood to join the Adopt-A-Park program.
We were already doing a great deal in our park when the program started
and the City came to us. We have a number of roadside flower beds that are
maintained by "adopt-a-bed" gardeners now. The "Park Patron" program is an
option for neighbors who pay a yearly fee that is used to improve the park
we live around. Not just for us (since we have to see every day), but for
all who would come and use the park to enjoy. The Adopt-A-Park program
itself... it's difficult to see how the program has helped us at all. Yes,
the City says it covers citizens working in the park under their liability
insurance should they get hurt. But I have never known this to even be
tested to know if it's true. Any sort of power equipment use is not
allowed. So you can garden, that's about it. We seemed more productive
before the program when we just did what we had to do to get the work
done. One time even using a Bobcat to move stuff around with. Sometimes
it's easier to appologise than it is to get permission...

But the trees I mentioned are big trees, not fallen branches as was most
of the stuff we just removed (and the stuff Mike removed as well). Some
standing, some down; all require large equipment and chain saws and skills
typical citizens just do not have. Just today in one stop at Northgate
Park, I took photos of as many as five standing trees that were dead (as
well as three that had fallen and been there more than a month). This all
from just from one spot. There's not much we as citizens can do to deal
with those. And there's not much any department can when the sheer volume
across this City outnumbers the manpower to deal with it. There's just too
much of it. I likened it to a natural disaster today, but there's not
enough of it to actually classify it as such. But it comes from three  of
the last five years with a lack of water. Plus, some of the trees are just
old and it's their time to go... Then there was a freak storm. It's no
ones fault we are where we are today with all of this.If you're looking
for blame, blame it on Mother Nature. The problem is though that she's
doing very little to help us out in resolving the problem.

It's not a matter of having to look for the funding for this. I have
already found it. I did this prior to ever beginning to talk about this
because I didn't want funding to be an issue. The money is there to start
as soon as we can get target areas planned and contract prices negotiated.

As a citizenry, we have to start thinking about our older green
infrastructure. The trees planted across this town in the 1930's are
getting past their prime for living with us and we're going to see a
number of them coming down in the next ten years. It's just a fact. And
when they have to come down (or fall on their own or through storms),
they'll just have to be replanted with new ones. They will be smaller and
grow into the trees we are lucky to have today. It would be wise for every
neighborhood to begin to discuss this as the longer it waits, the more it
may come as a surprise one day that they are all gone. We have a lot of
"woody" neighborhoods; this is a very big deal.

RWP
27 Beverly

> While I agree with Randy that fallen trees and those trees in danger of
> falling or losing their limbs is a threat that needs immediate attention,
> could we try to find a solution that just doesn't rely on the city finding
> more money to solve it?
>
> Is there a way for us as citizens to play a part in working with the city
> (and/or it's contractor) to help out in some way to solve this problem?
>
> In Randy's posting he mentions taking the initiative of moving a fallen
> limb
> that was blocking a driveway into a park.
>
> Is there a way that citizens,  under direction or training with the city
> could coordinate some small brush or limb removal using volunteers?
>
> Something like a city wide,  "Get Out and Help Our Parks Day" real soon?
>
> Years ago, Parks and Recreation in cooperation with General Services
> instituted an "Adopt a Park" program for residents to participate in
> policing their parks for trash, debris and light plantings.
>
> At Northgate Park,  we've also removed the suckers from the bases of the
> Crepe Myrtles,  lowered overgrown bushes and 'limbed' up some of the low
> hanging tree limbs implementing CPTED (Crime Prevention Through
> Environmental Design) to not only make the park cleaner but also safer by
> creating a visual field of view for visitors.   This enables a parent to
> see
> from one side of the park clear over to another which children definitely
> appreciated.   Parents got a more secure feeling as they strolled thru it.
>
> This 3 to 7 foot clearance zone also removed a number of potential eye
> injuries for not only visitors but also the lawn mowers who regularly cut
> the grass on riding mowers.
>
> Besides picking up trash,  we also took care to drag some of the dead and
> fallen limbs out to a designated area for later pick up by city workers
> during prescheduled (every third month) 'events'.
>
> None of this involve power tools or chain saws.
>
> I'm suggesting that the city consider further encouragement of the Adopt A
> Park program and in this time of urgent need,  to ask those volunteers who
> want to help out to work with Urban Forestry (and their contractors) in a
> well thought out mitigation plan, together.
>
> While I'm all for resolving the dangerous situations immediately,  I'm not
> so sure that throwing money at it is the best long term solution.
>
> City Hall can't do it all,  nor should we expect them to.
>
> Is there a chance for a partnership here?
>
> Mike Shiflett

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.