INC NEWS - Help bring Community Media to the City of Durham!

SimpleList simplelist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 15:27:38 EDT 2008

Help bring Community Media to the City of Durham! (Note: I have posted this on other listservs, so please forgive me if you are subscribed to more than one list service and are getting this message a couple of times. Thx! :)

To all community members of Durham and supporters of public media, exciting things are happening in Durham and your help is needed in bringing a community public access station to the city of Durham. Having been volunteering, training and soon producing with the People's Channel in Chapel Hill, I often wondered about pursuing in the same endeavor here in my own backyard.

Unfortunately, due to a passage of a new state law, the city of Durham does NOT have an active Public Access station.

Fortunately, however, several Durham residents as well as Chad Johnston, Executive Director of The Peoples Channel, are now working to change that. As community members, we can make a difference to help change that too.

Some background links to read first:

      I. Article from March 2008 in The News & Observer

     II. Article from August 2008 in The Herald Sun

Help bring Community Media to the City of Durham by visiting the following site: http://durhammediacenter.org/

     1.  If you believe in this pursuit and live or work in the City of Durham or Durham County, please support community media by signing the petition.

     2.  If you are also interested in volunteering with the working group, please contact Chad Johnston of People's Channel.  The meetings for Durham are held every Wednesday in Durham and they are a lot of fun.  There are many areas to get involved that need volunteers with all kinds of skill sets. Everyone is welcome!

     3. Please pass the word!  If you're on a listserv, attend a church, or work with a community group, pass along this note and encourage them to read up on the history of this issue; the efforts to bring community media to Durham; and to sign the petition and volunteer.

Please do not hesitate to contact Chad Johnston at johnston at thepeopleschannel.org if you have any other questions.

Many thanks to everyone in our Durham Community! Please visit the Durham Committee for Community Media (DCCM) website for more information at http://durhammediacenter.org/.

Best,

Skip

More Links to Documents and PDF's:

A. What is a Community Media and Public Access Center? (Word Doc)

B. Participate in a Community Charette Flyer (PDF Doc)

C. What is a Charette? (Word Doc)