INC NEWS - Durham Hosts Operation Green Light Mascot Naming Contest

Blalock, Amy Amy.Blalock at durhamnc.gov
Thu Oct 2 15:53:27 EDT 2008

CITY OF DURHAM

Office of Public Affairs

101 City Hall Plaza

Durham, NC 27701

News Release

For Details, Contact:

Beverly B. Thompson

Public Affairs Director

(919) 560-4123 x 229

(919) 475-2362 (cell)

Beverly.Thompson at durhamnc.gov <mailto:Beverly.Thompson at durhamnc.gov>

For Immediate Release:  October 2, 2008

Durham's "Operation Green Light" Seeks Student Help to Name New Mascot

Deadline for Submissions Oct. 13; Winning Student to Receive $50 Prize
and Special Recognition at Oct. 20 City Council Meeting

Durham, N.C. - Durham's elementary school students will soon get their
chance to name the City of Durham's new mascot to help debut "Operation
Green Light" to the community.

Mayor William V. "Bill" Bell has requested the principals of each
elementary school in Durham County to give their students the
opportunity to participate in a naming contest for the new mascot.
"Operation Green Light" is a public information campaign and Web site to
keep residents up-to-date on Durham's street repaving efforts.  The new
Web site is currently under construction and should be ready in
mid-October.  In the meantime, the new mascot needs a name.

According to Bell, involving Durham's elementary students in naming the
mascot is a good way to introduce young kids to government activities.
"After almost seven years as Durham's mayor, I'm always amazed at how
much our students care about their city.   Durham's young people have
consistently told me that they have an interest in what their city does
to make their lives better, and one of the items they have been most
vocal about is street potholes," Bell said.  "Who better to name the
mascot than elementary school children?  That is why I'm sending a photo
of the new mascot and asking principals to encourage their students to
get involved in the contest."

Elementary students who wish to participate should send their ideas via
e-mail to publicaffairs at durhamnc.gov with the following information:

1.    Suggested name for the mascot;

2.    Two-to-three sentences about why the name was chosen; and

3.    Student's name, school name and grade.

Students may submit more than one suggestion.  The deadline for
submissions is October 13, 2008.  The winning student will be notified
by October 16 and will receive $50 shopping spree from Northgate
Merchants and asked to attend the October 20, 2008 City Council meeting
to receive their gift card and be recognized by the City Council.

Questions regarding "Operation Green Light" or the mascot naming contest
should be directed to Beverly B. Thompson, director of the City's Office
of Public Affairs, at (919) 560-4123, extension 229 or via e-mail at
beverly.thompson at durhamnc.gov.

###