INC NEWS - Plant some trees, save some water

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 3 19:10:42 EDT 2008

Needed: Volunteers to Plant Trees!

Want to help our local ecosystems? The Upper Neuse River Basin Association (UNRBA) is planting trees to help protect our community’s waterways, and we need your help!

The UNRBA is a nonprofit coalition of local governments and others working together to protect drinking water supplies, aquatic ecosystems, and water-based recreation in the Falls Lake watershed. Thanks to a grant from the Home Depot Association, this fall we are planting trees along Lick and Little Lick Creeks and their tributaries to improve water quality.

Trees like ash, sycamores, and oaks are not only beautiful, they can also provide shade and improve aquatic habitat. Stream banks in the Piedmont are forested in their natural state. These forested areas, or “buffers,” protect the stream bank from erosion and prevent pollutants from entering the stream and getting into our drinking water supplies.

Please join us as we plant native trees from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm in East Durham on Saturday, November 22 and Saturday, December 13.   You’ll learn how to properly plant trees and how our waterways filter pollution.

We will provide directions and other info when you RSVP., Please call Lacey at 425-239-2396.  Refreshments will be served at a mid-morning break.

With your help, we can make our streams cleaner and healthier!