INC NEWS - Museum of Durham History moves closer to reality

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 10:29:05 EDT 2008

folks,

Good news. Formalized plans are moving ahead for a Museum of Durham History.

Passage of Durham's Prepared Foods Tax would support the museum's planning phase. Please support this important and timely effort to bring Durham a needed chronicle of its storied history.

Most other large cities in NC have history museums. Even small towns like Haw River, Erwin, Cooleemee, and Glencoe have history museums. From mill houses in creek bottoms to mansions on hilltops, we have a rich history in Durham that needs to be preserved. (More information is below.)

best wishes,
John

****

Museum of Durham History Moves Closer to Reality
Passage of Durham Prepared Foods Tax will Support Planning Phase

The Durham History Museum Planning Group, an ongoing advisory committee formed to plan a museum about the history of Durham, announces the approval of formal by-laws, an application for articles of incorporation and the organization of a three-person inaugural board to begin the planning and development of Durham’s first history museum.

The mission of the Museum of Durham History is to make the stories of Durham’s past available to the local community and its visitors and encourage people to appreciate the captivating richness of Durham’s history.

According to Durham Mayor Bill Bell, “The exciting revitalization of Durham is grounded in its rich traditions. Unfortunately, Durham is one of a very few communities in North Carolina without an institution that celebrates its heritage. The Museum of Durham History will allow people to learn about our past and use that knowledge to look to the future. The Prepared Food Tax will make this possible.”

Successful passage of the November 4th Durham Prepared Foods Tax will provide $300,000 in planning money in 2009 and construction funding by 2017. Following successful passage of the referendum, museum conceptual plans, capital campaign fundraising and recruitment of additional board members will be under way. Private and public partnerships will help support its ongoing operating and capital budget.

In conjunction with the Durham History Museum Planning Group, an initial three-member founding board of directors has been elected, with positions held by Tom Krakauer, President Emeritus, Museum of Life and Science, Jane Goodridge, liaison from Preservation Durham and Barker French, liaison from Durham’s Cultural Master Plan.

“Durham is a small county that is overly dependent upon property tax. The PFT will take pressure off the property tax and continue to build upon all of our cultural amenities.  Approximately forty percent of the PFT revenues will come from non-residents.  I am glad the Museum of Durham History is moving forward. It will be another jewel in our crown," said Ellen Reckhow, Chairman, Durham County Board of Commissioners.

According to community benefactor Mary D. B. T. Semans, "Many of us have thought through this proposed tax carefully and feel that Durham should keep pace with cities with which it compares itself.  At last, we would have a great start on a Durham Museum and support for our cultural activities."

“Durham is important to its residents and to its visitors. It beginnings, past citizens, industries, and interests have formed a unique and fascinating character. It is time that these stories are told,” said Jane Goodridge, founding board member and liaison from Preservation Durham.

Museum of Durham History Background

The three-member founding board established in the fall 2008 is working with the Durham History Museum Planning Group formed in 2006 to carry out the Durham Cultural Master Plan’s recommendation to establish a Durham history museum.

The Durham History Museum Planning Group envisions using carefully chosen artifacts, interpretive text, multimedia presentations, programs, a museum web site, and guided tours to tell Durham’s stories.  A myriad of fascinating subjects are available for interpretation: tobacco, textile mills, civil rights, sports, architecture, the blues, early settlers, Native Americans and these are just the beginning.  The Group anticipates eventually having a permanent location in downtown Durham sometime in the future.  An exact location has not been selected, but will be established in the planning process that the Prepared Foods Tax will support.

Contacts:

Tom Krakauer: tkraukauer at mindspring.com (919) 471-9459

or Allison Savicz: asavicz at w5insight.com (919) 923-2791